Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Upgraded factory ground location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Upgraded factory ground location?

So I'm sure some of you have noticed that the factory ground is on its own little built out tab which I can only assume is not as good as just grounding to another panel or the frame.

I'm also getting some odd feedback noise (not alt whine) which I figure might be caused by grounding the amp to the battery and/or the factory ground location being less than ideal.

Curious to know if anyone has modified their factory ground. I did sand the metal at that spot and added a copper lug to it but I'm not sure if that really helped much. Overall my stereo system runs great otherwise. But would like to combat the odd feedback.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:06 PM

It is attached to all of the metal in the frame and body by welds and bolts; that makes for a prodigious bus. Why in he world do you think the attachment point of a 6 or 8 gauge wire would make a difference?
I would look at device grounds not the battery ground if I was suspecting such a thing.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Loose or painted parts at the ground point. I’ve seen corrosion on a week old system, metal does funny things.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is attached to all of the metal in the frame and body by welds and bolts; that makes for a prodigious bus. Why in he world do you think the attachment point of a 6 or 8 gauge wire would make a difference?
I would look at device grounds not the battery ground if I was suspecting such a thing.
it just seemed a little flimsy and bent easily. The stock power and ground are both 4awg and my amps are 1/0 and 4awg.

so would you suggest grounding the amps to the chassis instead of the battery? I've also got a second battery hooked up. Would it be better to ground that to the chassis as well instead of directly to the main battery?

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Loose or painted parts at the ground point. I’ve seen corrosion on a week old system, metal does funny things.
I sanded the stock ground tab thing a few years ago. No rush or any thing on it. Even in the exposed part that doesn't have anything on it. So far so good!

Sub amp does great. I dont think its a ground quality issue. But I've read that all grounds should be to the chassis.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Yes, back in my radio installation days, we grounded everything to the chassis as close as possible to the unit.
the second battery should also be grounded to the unibody.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Yes, back in my radio installation days, we grounded everything to the chassis as close as possible to the unit.
the second battery should also be grounded to the unibody.
Thank you, I will be switching some grounds up today! I need to add a fuse between batteries as well.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

I hope pennies are ok to use for washers
Old 02-06-2022, 10:19 PM

You do know that the chassis is ground and the battery negative post is grounded to it; to make it work; not the other way around. Ions flowing and all that.
Floating ground works for most thing until; you get to digital stuff.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
You do know that the chassis is ground and the battery negative post is grounded to it; to make it work; not the other way around. Ions flowing and all that.
Floating ground works for most thing until; you get to digital stuff.
uhh what is floating ground? Did I hook it up wrong? I have everything on chassis ground now.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 AM
Administrator

That’ll work!

Quick Reply: Upgraded factory ground location?