Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Upgrading to the BETTER factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Upgrading to the BETTER factory radio?

So my HHR has a very basic radio and to be honest. It sounds like a 1 speaker radio from the 1930's. Thing is I want a stock radio and what I understand the premium higher end stock radios have amps other the whats in the radio. What would be involved in doing something like this or am I stuck with finding an aftermarket unit.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm not real sure, so maybe others will chime in , but just guessing I would say factory amp, factory sub, headunit?, wiring for the amp, possible speakers, and trim pieces for the tweeters. Givin the price of the stuff from dealer, and possibly salvage yards, it would be easier in the long run to just upgrade the stuff to aftermarket. Not say that you could not find the factory stuff, but it might be worth the trouble.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I think if you found a deal on the factory parts used it would be worth it, I like my factory "premium" Pioneer 7 speaker system a lot ...... some guys here say it sounds terrible but they have the monster stereo systems in their car which I find un-necessary.

If you had to get all new stuff the factory parts would run more than an aftermarket system...... so aftermarket is the way to go in that case...... (Downside to a used factory radio...... a dealer will have to flash the radio/head unit for it to work, from what i've read, it's an "anti theft" thing)
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM

The other day I had to move my car and my mom's car. Both had on the same radio station. I moved her car first, and then moved mine. There was quite a noticeable difference between the systems in my car (with the Pioneer factory system) and her's, with the basic. The same song was playing in both cars...and mine just sounded better.

I like my factory Pioneer.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Remember if you do a switch, the oem radios are VIN specific. You will have to take it to a dealer to have it flashed for the new radio. Some will charge as little as an hour labor, some more.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Vin Specific huh? Guess i will have to shell out for a new radio. I have an amp and two 10 inch alpines that I could use, My thing is I just wanted an better sounding radio without a new headunit. I like the way the dash looks in these cars with the radio.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I was searching this forum to find out if anyone had figured out a way to do this yet. I bought an upgraded factory stereo from a member here a few years ago. The price I bought it for was a good deal, but when the dealer wanted another hundred to unlock if for me it made it not such a good deal. It is still sitting in my garage. Apparently it wouldn't have mattered anyway because the guy I bought it from wasn't able to give me the VIN from his car. Makes a pretty expensive paperweight. Seems like there has to be a way to unlock these.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

If I switch my 09 premium HU with my 08 premium HU, will my bluetooth work thru the onstar mike ? The 09 had bluetooth, the 08 not.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM

I'm still pretty new to the modding of the HHR's and with that being said, I have an 06 Lt and would like to replace the radio. I would like to have the bluetooth capability so would it be easier for me to find a newer factory radio or just go ahead and buy an aftermarket instead?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM

FWIW the factory pioneer system is "better". Its plenty loud enough for me but some like to vibrate down the street, so, to do so, you shoud invest in aftermarket stuff. I know people that are not impressed by the factory pioneer system. its better than the 4 speaker system but by no means is it going to be heard down the street

EDIT: and i just realized that i replied to a thread from 2010...very nice... not sure on the blue tooth SSFAN

Quick Reply: Upgrading to the BETTER factory radio?