Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

wanna change my tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:12 PM

wanna change my tweeters

how u doing wanna know if anybody ever changed there tweeters and also if they have pics of the install im looking to get a clearer sound so what do u guys out there suggest thanx for any help u can offer
Old 08-28-2006, 01:14 PM

Do a search for Capt Howdys audiobahn thread.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 PM

CJ also did a how-to that includes tweeters. Also add HHRPNOY, he also did one that has pictures...

Ng
Old 08-28-2006, 02:33 PM

crude but effective, from my other thread

ng recommeded these speakers, and I am really happy with the sound, not tinny like the factory tweeters, and nice base out of the 6-1/2 base units

i got them off Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

i had to fab some brackets for the tweeters, i came REAL close to cutting out a hole for it to stick thru and just glueing it in place, i thought (and still do) that it would look sharp, but figured i'd just butcher up the part and wind up having to buy a new one............

the brackets that came with the unit were all meant for 3 point mounting, of course the HHR had a 2 point mount

so

i hack sawed some aluminum strips out a piece of metal that i scrounged from work, knowing that it would eventually come in handy

i used some extra nuts as spacers to get the correct standoff.

the first attempt at screwing it together was almost a tragedy, the screws i bought were too long and they bulged out the plastic on the piller, they didn't poke thru so i was able to press them back down, i used a grinder to shorten them up a bit
Old 08-28-2006, 02:41 PM

The component set Mudbilly bought on Ebay for about $100 goes for about $200 at Best Buy and other stores. You can also get the Kappa series (Infinity's high end speakers) for a really good price. I think I'll never buy speakers and amps from a retail store again...

Ng
Old 08-28-2006, 04:22 PM

What are the two "square" units in the pic? Is it two speakers and two tweeters for that price? I wanna swap out mine (rears first) and put the tweets in the armrest. I'll need help with the tweeter wiring though.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by teech
What are the two "square" units in the pic? Is it two speakers and two tweeters for that price? I wanna swap out mine (rears first) and put the tweets in the armrest. I'll need help with the tweeter wiring though.
The two squares are the passive crossovers that come with the kit. This prevents the tweets from getting low freqs that can damage them and it also provides a cleaner sound.

FYI: component set ups usually require an amp. Most head units don't have enough power to push them properly.

The wiring is simple. The crossovers are marked for proper wiring. If you can connect the positive and negative wire to a speaker, you can connect this setup.

Ng
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 PM

What type of amp would I need (spec wise) to push speakers in the factory mounts and a component system like this one? Where do you place the crossovers...are they mounted, perhaps with the amp? I'm not very well versed in car audio...
Old 08-28-2006, 05:58 PM

A nice place to put the crossovers is in the dash inside the dash end covers. Open one of your front doors and look at the cover that is exposed at the end of the dash......... This way they can be accessed and adjusted easily.

A good 75 watts per channel will be good for power with at least 400 going to the sub.

Joe
Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 PM

What about in the rear? and no sub here...wife would complain too much...she's the reason 12" tube came out of the previous ride...got sick of making adjustments.

I figured I'd just swap out the factories with something thats a little better than the paper cones...I don't even think I take out the head unit, unless I get a six disk, but my ipod has more power

anyway...I wanna swap the rears first and probably put the tweeters in the rear arm rests

Quick Reply: wanna change my tweeters