Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Water damage to the radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:59 PM

Water damage to the radio

The AC condensate drain clogged and evidently the splashing water damaged the radio. I believe I blew the drain out, so that has been addressed. The radio only plays through the passenger side column speaker, but very low with at a real tinny sound. It will pop through the whole system for a fraction of a second by itself or, oddly, when I use the electric windows or go from park to drive. The locks may make it pop too. Is my radio toast. It has been a number of days and doesn't seem to be getting any better. How much to replace? Can I do this myself? Junk yard radio?

Dan
Old 06-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, these symptoms point more toward the door speakers are toast.
If the radio was shorted out there would be nothing from the headunit.
So if you feel it's the radio, it's easy to replace, you will need to take it to a competent GM dealer to code the radio to your HHR, but be prepared to replace the door speakers.
Second choice to consider is an aftermarket double din radio and speakers, there are many threads here to guide you though the install, simple type radio or headunit into the search window and start reading, if you don't find what you are looking for we are here to help!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Dan......

It would help if you provided the year, model of your vehicle.

But I will add..... if your radio truly did get wet, you probably blew the amp. The popping noise, I'm told, is generally a characteristic of a blown amp. I had that problem way back and the amp needed replacing. But as suggested, a new radio may be a better and more financially sound repair.

Last edited by Snoopy; 06-17-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Gravity! The radio is higher than the A/C condenser. How did water drip UP?

Easy to replace, but be aware that you will need to have someone (who knows how) match the new radio to the car with a scantool (Tech2 or similar).