Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What would you do about this stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM

What would you do about this stereo

So my rear speakers and sub woofer ( all stock ) are not playing loud at all. I want to keep my stock H.U . I thought about adding an amp to the back for the rear speakers and subwoofer. But if the H.U. is causing the the low volume issue in the rear maybe an amp will have no effect.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Rear speakers in , your SS?
Premium Pioneer system?

many things like loose wires, grounds and corrosion in the speakers can cause it, so can moisture in the HU.
try pulling the HU , bring it in the house to dry out for a day or two then reinstall it, it would indicate where you have the problem.

If it’s possible, Crutchfield’s new HU, speakers,navigation, subwoofer and amp
but I really want a new system, the 11 year old one works good , for now!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

May be as simple as needing to adjust all the settings in the radio itself ?
In my SS with the Premium system, I have the fader set at +3 to the rear. Even then, the front speakers are still much louder than the rears. Just the fact of the rear speakers location make it hard for their sound to get up front.
Adjusting the bass, loudness, equalizer and such can make it sound better than the "default" settings.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Good suggestions.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
May be as simple as needing to adjust all the settings in the radio itself ?
In my SS with the Premium system, I have the fader set at +3 to the rear. Even then, the front speakers are still much louder than the rears. Just the fact of the rear speakers location make it hard for their sound to get up front.
Adjusting the bass, loudness, equalizer and such can make it sound better than the "default" settings.
premium system, yours sounds like mine does. I have messed with settings, so maybe thats normal. I have had a LS and a LT in the past and the premium system doesn't sound any better. I have been only listening to XM radio so maybe I will try a cd or plugging in my phone and see if it's better.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Yes, try a CD. XM is pretty good but not the same sound quality as a CD.

The rear speakers in every GM are always far quieter than the fronts. I've had 2 GMs with Bose systems and the back speakers were weak. In other words they are filler to round out the sound.

The sub setup is and always has been a disappointment. Stereo sound systems are a science. The Sub in the HHR is not setup like a true component system. Most of the bass still goes to the front speakers. Your best and most cost effective approach is to replace the front speakers. For under $100 there are lots of speakers that will fit without modification and will dramatically improve the sound quality.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Yes, try a CD. XM is pretty good but not the same sound quality as a CD.

The rear speakers in every GM are always far quieter than the fronts. I've had 2 GMs with Bose systems and the back speakers were weak. In other words they are filler to round out the sound.

The sub setup is and always has been a disappointment. Stereo sound systems are a science. The Sub in the HHR is not setup like a true component system. Most of the bass still goes to the front speakers. Your best and most cost effective approach is to replace the front speakers. For under $100 there are lots of speakers that will fit without modification and will dramatically improve the sound quality.
Thats good to hear. I would rather replace speakers and add a new amp for the rear than replace my H.U
Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Yes good quality speakers , but that would not confirm if the HU is st fault, which it probably isn’t
Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 AM

So I added a small kicker 2 channel amp to the rear for the rear speakers. Hookup was easy. Much improved sound now. Problem is noise. I picked up electronic noise through the rear speakers. I have added a ground loop Isolator to the RCA wires. ( Helped a little ) , Bought better quality RCA wires ( no effect ) , Added a power in line noise filter ( No Effect ). Still get humming and ticking through speakers. All grounds are good. My next step is to try a different power source for the amp remote wire. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Technical Moderator

The noise came after the amp was added? Where did you get power and ground for it? Polarity?

Quick Reply: What would you do about this stereo