Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 PM
RFT

Wiring Question

I apologize in advance if this has been handled in the forums. I need to make sure I understand a couple things correctly about wiring an aftermarket radio in. I do not have the car yet (waiting on the RPD), so am doing some research.

If I use the wiring kit from Metra (Lan03 or Lan04), I will not lose any functionality of Onstar, chimes, XM, etc. If I go through a wiring kit that doesn't include the LAN bus, I will lose Onstar, Chimes, but what about XM?

I'm pulling the setup from my current car, HU and amps, and weighing my options. I really don't want to spend the money for the wiring LAN harness and can live without Onstar, Chimes and XM.

Also, anyone have an idea how bluetooth plays into all of this?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM

If you replace the factory radio with an aftermarket HU then the HU determines if you have XM, Bluetooth, Ipod compatibility because all that is part of the HU. The factory HU you have determines what functions were offered for your car.

The Metra will only make your Onstar and chimes for blinkers, seatbealts and any other thing chimes are programed for work.

Now I installed the Metra on my car when I replaced the HU and if I had to do it again I would not. It was a pain to wire, clunky big, difficult to place and over priced. Plus I could care less about the Onstar service. Unless you of course want to use the Onstar for what it was made for.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 AM

what i did in my mothers truck for onstar was buy a hu thats xm ready and get the xm receiver and attach the antenna from your existing onstar to your new receiver. you might need to extend the cable in the hhr. not sure havent done it in my hhr yet.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
If you replace the factory radio with an aftermarket HU then the HU determines if you have XM, Bluetooth, Ipod compatibility because all that is part of the HU. The factory HU you have determines what functions were offered for your car.

The Metra will only make your Onstar and chimes for blinkers, seatbealts and any other thing chimes are programed for work.

Now I installed the Metra on my car when I replaced the HU and if I had to do it again I would not. It was a pain to wire, clunky big, difficult to place and over priced. Plus I could care less about the Onstar service. Unless you of course want to use the Onstar for what it was made for.
I know XM is standard in the '09 model year for the HHR and bluetooth is standard for the SS model. From what I understand they are separate modules. Does GM use the LAN Bus for the data streams from these sources?
My HU is XM compatible, no worries there, if I understand correctly, the signal from the XM is standardized (IE I don't need the HU Manufactury specific receiver)?

Originally Posted by masterchief1112
what i did in my mothers truck for onstar was buy a hu thats xm ready and get the xm receiver and attach the antenna from your existing onstar to your new receiver. you might need to extend the cable in the hhr. not sure havent done it in my hhr yet.
This sounds like Onstar is going through the XM Receiver, is that correct? Seems plausible, a bit odd in some ways, but possible.. hmm..

Thanks guys/gals
Of the three, I could care the least about Onstar. If I can have the functionality for the trial period, with minimal work/investment, why not.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM

you need the adapter for onstar as far as i know. as for if they go through eachother. they are in the same antenna as far as i know but without the hu you will not be able to tune xm. hence the new module.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
RFT

Ok, I must have misunderstood something then. Sound like I will forgo the $$$ kit and not miss the chimes. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Is there a harness to use without the On-Star? Don't really use it, but want a new radio..