Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

XM/ID3/CD-Text data is cut off instead of scrolled.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:08 PM

XM/ID3/CD-Text data is cut off instead of scrolled.

This post is related to the 6-disc changer head unit with MP3 playback.

One of the annoyances I've noticed is the XM, ID3 or CD-Text data is just cut off if it's too long instead of scrolling.

This is a problem especially with XM data because I'm a vinyl collector and also a DJ... :)

So when I hear a tune I don't know I like to make a mental note and buy the vinyl, cd or MP3 if the physical medium doesn't exist. However it's difficult with long songname or bandnames that are cut off in the display.

Another thing that would be good is WAV support.

I called GM Canada this morning to inquire and see if maybe there is a software upgrade for the factory stereos that could resolve this.

The contact I spoke with never heard of anything but suggested I talk with the dealer.

I made a trip to the dealer earlier today and reported the issue to see if the issue is known or if a software/firmware update is possible.

The contact at GM informed me Masse Electronics are the ones who handle the electronic components for the factory.

I didn't find any contact info for them on the net.

If I could download a firmware update and burn it to CD-R and update the head unit that would be great.

Anyone notice this?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM

Chances are only way to solve your problem is to get aftermarket headunit. But I think XM shortens or combines items to fit their reciever screens. On my Alpine headunit CD scrolls, XM doesn't but good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Yeah I know because the Pioneer deck I had in my previous vehicle scrolled all the info, XM/ID3 and CD-Text.

I'm hoping it's just something they overlooked when they produced the headunit and provided a way for it to be updated easily.

I actually like the factory head unit except for this small quirk. But I figure it never hurts to raise an issue and ask.

Who knows what might happen.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM

I complained about that same thing when I got an XM survey from GM shortly after I got my HHR.

You won't find any firmware on the net for it.

It's a dealer only fix, even though it's outsourced. I had the software in my radio updated to address an FM radio issue, and they had to call in the outside company to do the work.

The updated software did not change the cut-off text for XM.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM

If you press the "i" button it will give you more info. I've had to do this on occasion to see the whole song title. The "i" button will give you like 5-8 more letters than the standard display. You might try that.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:45 PM

I've actually done that and that's why I was raising the issue because the info was still cut off.

@ Black Rose

You're right because the rep at GM Canada said it would have to be dealt with internally.

So I would expect I it would be a service call to update the software.

Thanks for that info though because it's definitely a software fix to address this.

Also the text being truncated is not only XM track info, it happens with ID3 and CD-Text info too.

Asking for WAV support might be pushing my request a bit far, :p