Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

XM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:45 PM

XM Problem

On Monday morning at about 6:30am, my XM Radio automatically switched to XM1 and said XM Updating. I figured I had made it to my 90 day trial. So, I called XM to have the service turned on. They said to turn the radio on and after approximately 20 minutes, it should be ready to go. Ok... I do that. Still not working. Finally (today) after another call to XM, they tell me that the service is active and there are no problems on their end (typical answer). They proceed to tell me that there may be a problem with the hardware and I should take it to the dealer.

I make an appointment with the dealer for next Friday. The questions are (for the meantime), has anyone else experienced this? If this is a hardware problem, is there anything I can do to determine what the actual problem is? A friend told me I should disconnect the battery cable for something like 30 minutes and maybe that would reset the system. I am doubtful that will help.

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:47 PM

If you turn it off and then back on, does the problem go away?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadPig
If you turn it off and then back on, does the problem go away?
No. It's funny though. I am receiving the signal because I can hear the broadcast on channel XM1. It will play XM1 (Preview) XM174 and XM247 (Emergency). Nothing else. I really think XM is the problem here, but I will take it to the dealer per their request.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by RDosdorian
No. It's funny though. I am receiving the signal because I can hear the broadcast on channel XM1. It will play XM1 (Preview) XM174 and XM247 (Emergency). Nothing else. I really think XM is the problem here, but I will take it to the dealer per their request.
You will always receive the 'signal'; but you are only receiving those three channels because your service is inactive. It's like having basic cable and those are your three preview channels. I had the same issue w/XM and spoke to them about it - after about three days AND no visit to the dealership, they got it to work again. They said it had something to do with the XM ID number in the system. I have discontinued the service since then and now listen to local stations and my iPod.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:33 PM

No problem here but yes check your ID# to make sure XM has the correct ID for you.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 PM

I am thinking this is a problem with the XM people but I think it will take some talking to them. I just have a hard time believing it is a radio issue. If it were, I should not be receiving the preview channels.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RDosdorian
On Monday morning at about 6:30am, my XM Radio automatically switched to XM1 and said XM Updating. I figured I had made it to my 90 day trial. So, I called XM to have the service turned on. They said to turn the radio on and after approximately 20 minutes, it should be ready to go. Ok... I do that. Still not working. Finally (today) after another call to XM, they tell me that the service is active and there are no problems on their end (typical answer). They proceed to tell me that there may be a problem with the hardware and I should take it to the dealer.

I make an appointment with the dealer for next Friday. The questions are (for the meantime), has anyone else experienced this? If this is a hardware problem, is there anything I can do to determine what the actual problem is? A friend told me I should disconnect the battery cable for something like 30 minutes and maybe that would reset the system. I am doubtful that will help.

Any ideas?
Have XM send a nother activation "hit" to the unit while you are on the phone with them and the car is outside with XM on. I'm surprised they didn't try that already.
And tune in to channel 0 and make sure the ID number they have is correct, as mentioned before.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM

Get Sirius.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:38 PM

Go to XM's website and go to the bottom of the page and click on "listener care". Then click on "manage my account". Log in and you should be able to refresh your radio. When my free account ran out we renewed it late one night and the signal didn't reach the radio. Next day at work before I left for home, went and refreshed and it came on before I made it a 1/4 mile down the road. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 PM

I thought it was wired when I was driving when the service got turned off. When I seen the updateing I knew I was going to lose the service. I've been happy with my 6 in dash cd changer. I have not renewed it yet. I might one day soon. I hope there are not issues restoring the service.

Quick Reply: XM Problem