Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Xm radio tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Technical Moderator

2008s came with. You should call before spending money. The RPO code on the glove box door is U2K. The unit is behind the passenger side rear quarter trim panel.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Um Excuse me...

Originally Posted by donbrew
If it has a shark fin antenna at the rear just call them and start paying. The other easy check is if you have an OnStar button on the rear view mirror.
Not quite true sir. The shark fin antenna is used for both OnStar and XM.
If you have OnStar which apparently you do then cool, BUT if you do NOT also have the XM radio Tuner installed then you are SOL .
You will know if you have XM from the factory by checking the RPO Codes on the Glove Box Door Sticker, you are looking for code U2K indicating XM.

Without it you will need to buy an XM Tuner module and install it to get radio integration - this MAY also require a dealer reflash to get the tuner to talk to your BCM on the LAN.

Not the best news I know, but I am going through the same situation now on my '08 HHR SS - I needed to buy the XM from a bone yard or Ebay typically $35.00-$50.00 Then install flash and listen to smooth XM. tunes...
Old 05-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Founding Member

Klukejohn, send me a private message with the last 8 digits of your VIN. I can tell you if your HHR is XM capable and if it is I can tell you the radio ID.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

CM Brad. Klukejohn posted that 2 years ago and hasn't logged in since.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Tim Heller
If you have OnStar which apparently you do then cool, BUT if you do NOT also have the XM radio Tuner installed then you are SOL .
You will know if you have XM from the factory by checking the RPO Codes on the Glove Box Door Sticker, you are looking for code U2K indicating XM.

Without it you will need to buy an XM Tuner module and install it to get radio integration - this MAY also require a dealer reflash to get the tuner to talk to your BCM on the LAN.

Not the best news I know, but I am going through the same situation now on my '08 HHR SS - I needed to buy the XM from a bone yard or Ebay typically $35.00-$50.00 Then install flash and listen to smooth XM. tunes...
Depending on year BOTH were standard equipment except when ordered without (fleet). Most, if not all, years had OnStar as standard except when ordered without.
The hint about RPO codes was cited many times. You can also just push the button on the radio to check for it.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
CM Brad. Klukejohn posted that 2 years ago and hasn't logged in since.

I'm a dummy!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Heller

Curious. Was the wiring already installed in the right, rear quarter panel for the XM "module" (plugs and antenna)? Is this what it means when it says "XM ready"?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Logically yes, but the BCM would need to be reflashed
Old 05-22-2019, 07:34 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't know for sure but I think if the Onstar is there the XM wiring is there. OnStar was standard equipment (most years) except when ordered deleted. I know the 2 HHRs I had were former fleet cars with no OnStar and there was no wiring back there.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanks! I'll find out for sure this weekend. I'll be burrowing my way into that area to swap out my non-Bluetooth OnStar VCIM for one with Bluetooth which should be delivered on Friday. I think I know what needs to come off of the panel to get to it, according to Mitchell anyway. The odd thing is that it says the first thing to remove is the "window plug", yet I've read posts here that seemed to indicate that there is a lot of other things that need removing before you can get to that plug. I guess I'll find all that out to. If anyone knows what's holding that window plug on the quarter panel, I'd appreciate knowing that, to save time and too minimize the chances of doing damage.

Last edited by Musky; 05-22-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Xm radio tuner