2011 LT rear end sway and bounce - Chevy HHR Network

Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

2011 LT rear end sway and bounce

Old 08-28-2018, 04:40 PM

2011 LT rear end sway and bounce

2011 LT, 125,000 miles. just had 4 new Michelin Defender's installed and full alignment. The back end when i hit a bump or at highway speeds seems to really wander and shake from side to side. I don't think it is related to the recent tire install and alignment, but rather the rear shocks. The passenger side is leaking and when i push down a few times on the rear bumper the car continues to bounce. I have had cars with bad shocks but never the "swaying motion" i am experiencing to almost a loss of control of the rear end. Will replace shocks and reading here the KYB seem to be very popular. For 2 KYB it's about $125 at autozone. Rock Auto is selling the same model number for $26 each which seems ridiculously low. MonroeSpectrum Pasenger Part # 5779 are about $40/each and available today, the others i would have to order.

Looking for answers to:
Shock choice at the price points listed
Would it most likely be just the shocks causing the rear end sway or maybe another suspension part
Would the alignment have much to do with this even though the car tracks perfectly down the road after the alignment and new tires

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Shocks yes, bouncy ride and swaying.
alignment wouldn’t have much to do with the sway.
I installed a Turbo Tech Racing rear sway bar it controls that rear sway much better, but Zi do like twisting roads.

I installed KYB Excellent-G 349043 shocks, limited lifetime warranty and they last a long time.
Make sure the bolts are torqued correctly!

A1Auto has them

RockAuto has a better price

and gives us a discount

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supp...-2018-a-60583/

and there another promotion

https://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/promoCat.html#kyb
Old 08-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Do the shocks first, see if control is better. While under there check the rubber bushings in the axle control arms... They should still be okay, but you have more miles than I do.

Monroe are good... I use the NAPA rebranded Monroe Spectrum.

If that is all done and you are still not satisfied with handling rear performance sway bars are very popular modification for the HHR. Mine handles like it's on rails...
Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

AND Make sure the rear coil springs are intact and not broken. Several broken ones noted over the years on this forum.
(Oldblue or Don may have a picture they can post.)+
Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

And if all else is good & you still want better handling, I'd suggest swapping the rear springs to Cobalt SS/SC, lowers the center of gravity, & almost levels the stance. I've had mine on since about '09 or '10

With the rear anti-sway bar.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
And if all else is good & you still want better handling, I'd suggest swapping the rear springs to Cobalt SS/SC, lowers the center of gravity, & almost levels the stance. I've had mine on since about '09 or '10

With the rear anti-sway bar.
X-2
I have a 2011 2LT with KYB Rear shocks .. the Rear sway bar and Cobalt SS/SC springs and it handles Super and sits level..

Silverfox
Old 08-29-2018, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Cobalt SS/SC or the SS/TC, Been too long, I think now I may have the 'balt SS/TC rear coil springs.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 PM

Guy needs new shocks and here we are discussing how he needs to modify his car...
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

He says "I have had cars with bad shocks but never the "swaying motion" i am experiencing to almost a loss of control of the rear end." - I'd say if he is experiencing almost a loss of control of the rear end, it is definitely more than just shocks and sway bars. He needs to check all the rear suspension bushings and the springs themselves if it is as bad as he describes. .
Old 08-29-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
Cobalt SS/SC or the SS/TC, Been too long, I think now I may have the 'balt SS/TC rear coil springs.
Sleeper,
I'll give a hand here.....

You have SS/TC's

Silverfox

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 LT rear end sway and bounce

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service