Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

2011 LT undercarriage rattling

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 05:52 AM

2011 LT undercarriage rattling

Greetings - been a while. Travelled from the west coast to settling in Rhode Island one year ago. Now the car has 62000 miles on it. I have what sounds to be a persistent rattle - sounds like a loose muffler. Replaced the hangers - not an easy task, as the ones listed at the NAPA parts shop were too large and provided no tightening effect. Originally ordered from rockauto - way too large. NAPA had ones that were close in size, but not exact replacement for the worn ones. Yesterday I inspected the undercarriage and found the lower control arm on the left side to have a broken insulator on the rear most part of the arm. Replaced both LC arms because that is how I learned to repair vehicles - one side is new, make both sides new. Also replaced Rotors and Pads. 4 hour job, $700.00 spent on parts alone. Test drove, and still the rattling noise from the undercarriage. The noise did change slightly - it did have a bad LC arm. I noticed a spring on the main exhaust at the rear of the engine - mine is the 2.4 ltr. I keep going back to a loose exhaust system - that is what it sounds like. Very frustrating. And at 62k miles, it has just begun a consistent whine that doesn't change on acceleration. It has been a fairly reliable ride. Doesn't like high winds at all, and snow it isn't so happy with either! Then there is the front windshield that is so low that I have to lean forward to read the traffic signals.
one thing I noticed, the link on the front left strut is somewhat loose. The Right one is tighter. I did replace both strut assemblies and links when I bought the car, as there was a roughness in steering. I don't have any steering wheel shaking or anything affecting steering or braking now. Drives straight. Pretty long and windy post, but the rattling is a pain - at highway speed, no noise at all! thanks in advance -
Old 10-23-2022, 06:14 AM

A spring? Do you mean the flex pipe?

Check the link in my signature, there may be something useful to you in that thread.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:20 AM

Yes, must be the flex pipe. My last car was a 66 Studebaker Cruiser. Would the flex pipe be the cause of a loose exhaust system?
Old 10-23-2022, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Yes, it would
Old 10-23-2022, 03:05 PM

Could be the airbox bracket is broken.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:24 AM

Well, airbox is solid, and the flex pipe in exhaust is also solid. I do notice the right CV joint has come out of the gearbox by 1/4", and the strut link is very loose. Bad transmission? or bad CV? Besides the clunking there is a new 'humming' sound coming from the right wheel well, probably the output shaft bearing - but with the cv joint out of correct position, that could be the cause of that problem. No bearing movement with tires on. frustrating. thanks again
Old 11-01-2022, 07:56 AM
Administrator

The cv axle has about a 1/4 of movement, the hum is more commonly the bearing hub. Swaybar end link will clunk if it’s loose. Check the lower control arm rear bushings, if they are worn then there’s movement to allow the cv axle movement.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:56 AM

Wheel hubs/bearings. Humming while moving.
The CVs have a slip joint on the trans end. They may be bad. Clunk on turning.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:08 AM

OK. Front right Hub toast, replaced. Right link gone after 1 year!, replaced, replaced both lower control arms with new - right one had blown rear bushing - and I believe that was the start of my grief!. Also replaced sway bar bushings, old ones not bad, replaced anyway. and right cv axle. Majority of noise is gone. Now to budget for the rear hubs and front left hub to replace. all told, using NAPA parts, cost was 1100.00 for both lower control arms, sway bar link, rt. bearing hub, both front rotors and pads. That bad hub was causing a real drag on the system.
Thanks for all the good advice.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Are those new LCA’s aluminum! Or stamped steel? What brands did NAPA supply?

Quick Reply: 2011 LT undercarriage rattling