Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Anyone have experience with the electronic steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM

Anyone have experience with the electronic steering?

My car, pretty abruptly, began to steer rough at low speeds. Having done a little research, I found that it's likely the motor or an electrical issue. Anyone gotten that far into the rack?

I'd like to know if there's anything else that would cause the motor not to turn on.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:46 PM

In most cases it's the motor that fails but I have read that there are a few that the problem was the rack it's self.

Here some reading that may help. Also the search box will pull up many more threads about power steering.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-w-pics-31289/
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 AM

Like said above the motor is usually the culprit.

If you do find that the motor is the problem then take it to the dealer to be replaced as they are covering the motors under an extended warranty setup right now. A search on here will bring up a thread about that coverage.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

gamma-wes has a SS. They are not covered under the PS motor recall.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 AM

To answer the question "has anyone got that far into the rack" directly:no, because the motor is not in the rack.
But "power steering" in the search box yields 876 links.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 AM

Hi gamma-wes,

I’m sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your HHR. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to contact your dealership on your behalf in order to further discuss your concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if any extra help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

what exactly are you feeling? just hard to turn? or vibrations/rattle?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 PM

hard to turn at low speeds. just fine above that.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
In most cases it's the motor that fails but I have read that there are a few that the problem was the rack it's self.

Here some reading that may help. Also the search box will pull up many more threads about power steering.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-w-pics-31289/
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. As donbrew said, power steering in the search box yields 876 links. By the time you search one forum in 20 different relevant word combinations, everything just runs together. The more experienced people here know these write-ups exist and thanks for helping me find the write-up I need.

I did some reading on diagnostics and the only thing that makes sense with all of the symptoms is the motor. I'll get on that next weekend or so. I can keep the car parked that long.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Hi gamma-wes,

I’m sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your HHR. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to contact your dealership on your behalf in order to further discuss your concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if any extra help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'll handle my own work for the time being. I've had fairly bad experiences with the two most highly rated dealers in my area. I understand that there are a lot of recall and legal issues at the moment, so I'll give the dealers time to catch up. My car is out of warranty at +5 years old and 70k miles anyways.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the electronic steering?