Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Base versus 2LT struts - Firsthand experience comparison??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 PM

Question Base versus 2LT struts - Firsthand experience comparison??

Hi Folks, Does anyone have direct first-hand comparison experience with the base versus 2LT suspension when it comes to ride?

By that I mean does anyone own both, or used to own one and now owns the other, or your work has both and you drive them back to back?

I have the 2LT suspension. I understand the springs themselves are the same, but the struts, shocks, and rollbar are different. On my 2LT the springs seem to have enough travel, but I feel the small bumps in the road pretty good. Also, road heaves give a pretty good jolt to the cabin. I am thinking about base struts and shocks for my car, leaving springs and rollbar alone. I am not a cornering demon, but do have to live with beat up streets daily. If the shocks help, I may be able to live with some '06 Cobalt SS rear springs to level things up.

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice here. God Bless, Marc
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Hi Folks, Does anyone have direct first-hand comparison experience with the base versus 2LT suspension when it comes to ride?

By that I mean does anyone own both, or used to own one and now owns the other, or your work has both and you drive them back to back?

I have the 2LT suspension. I understand the springs themselves are the same, but the struts, shocks, and rollbar are different. On my 2LT the springs seem to have enough travel, but I feel the small bumps in the road pretty good. Also, road heaves give a pretty good jolt to the cabin. I am thinking about base struts and shocks for my car, leaving springs and rollbar alone. I am not a cornering demon, but do have to live with beat up streets daily. If the shocks help, I may be able to live with some '06 Cobalt SS rear springs to level things up.

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice here. God Bless, Marc

You might want to hold off Marc until you drive mine. I have the 2LT as well, and I feel like it actually does very well over rough roads. I live in Durham, remember?

How many miles do you have again, I wonder if yours are just extra stiff and will soften after a little more time. I hit 45K last night so mine do have a lot more wear on them.

I do know the 1LT I drove was so soft and squishy it was a huge difference when I finally got into the one I have now. Granted the test drive of the 1LT isn't the same as driving it daily, but the difference is very noticable.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Isn't the internet great? Especially for questions just like these. Thanks Andy for the advice. I will look forward to trying yours. I did notice that one person on these forums noted that they rented an '09 2LT and it felt harsh compared to their older 2LT. Maybe they changed strut suppliers? See you Thursday. God Bless, Marc
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 PM

GM Parts Guys...Help??? Strut numbers '09?

Okay, I drove Andy's "Black Pearl" today, and his 2LT suspension is defintiely smoother than mine by a long shot. He has the stock Firestone "hard" tires and I have changed to the Kumho "much softer riding" tires, but mine is still way harsher. I also read on the forums where someone with a 2LT rented an '09 and complained about how stiff it was. Here's the question:

Is there a part number difference for the '09 2LT struts and shocks versus the earlier 2LT struts and shocks?

My car has plenty of suspension travel over speed bumps, etc., but I feel the cracks and potholes, and bumps in the pavement through the structure. I am about ready to drop down to base struts and shocks, but Andy's 2LT car feels way smoother. Help?

Many thanks for any advice. God Bless, Marc
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Okay, I drove Andy's "Black Pearl" today, and his 2LT suspension is defintiely smoother than mine by a long shot. He has the stock Firestone "hard" tires and I have changed to the Kumho "much softer riding" tires, but mine is still way harsher. I also read on the forums where someone with a 2LT rented an '09 and complained about how stiff it was. Here's the question:

Is there a part number difference for the '09 2LT struts and shocks versus the earlier 2LT struts and shocks?

My car has plenty of suspension travel over speed bumps, etc., but I feel the cracks and potholes, and bumps in the pavement through the structure. I am about ready to drop down to base struts and shocks, but Andy's 2LT car feels way smoother. Help?

Many thanks for any advice. God Bless, Marc

Yeah I noticed a big difference driving yours and driving mine as well. So I can vouch for this. He isn't crazy..there is a difference. I don't know if its because he has less than 16K miles on an 09 and I have 45K miles on an 07, but something isn't the same.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM

I want to try SMOOOOOOOOOOTH. Yours fits the bill Andy. :-)

Remember on Pixar's "Cars" when the road was finished in Radiator Springs and they all went for a cruise on the new asphalt? I'd like to try that, but our roads are beat, so I guess struts are next.......

God Bless, Marc
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Marc-

How much air pressure are you running in yer tires ??

My 08 2LT rides Sweet !!!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Marc-

How much air pressure are you running in yer tires ??

My 08 2LT rides Sweet !!!
Right, however he has an 09. I think his air pressure was stock. The 09's come with TPM's right? So it should alert him if its too much or too little.

The other car that someone commented on being rough was an 09 as well. The 07 and 08 were probably pretty similar, the 09 model was the one that got a minor remodel, i.e. the window buttons went up on the driver side door instead of the console near the shifter, etc.

So we are wondering if other things were changed under the covers so to speak. Or things that aren't widely posted.

Maybe this is a question for ChevyMgr as he might have more insight to some smaller changes that might not get a lot of attention. I know I haven't seen any mention of struts and stuff, but that doesn't meant they aren't there. The 2LT just gets an "upgraded" suspension as they call it..but they don't detail the exact differences when you are looking at which version of car to buy.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 AM

Hi Folks, I am running 35 all around as far as tire pressure, and the ride got better when I went to the Kumhos, but it is still major stiff compared to Andy's '07 2LT with the original (harder) Friestones. I can believe there'd be that much difference between 15k and 45k miles as far as shocks softening up. God Bless, Marc
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 AM

I had 28 miles on my car when I bought it on 7/31 and I felt the ride to be stiff and hard, really any defect in the road I could feel more than I wanted to. Now I have 830 miles on the car and did take one trip of 300 miles where I got to drive on some of California's worst roads condition wise. I know it's not in my head, well maybe it is.... I think that small amount of mileage has softened my ride a bit. It's still somewhat stiff but I think mileage does soften it up some.......

Fred

Quick Reply: Base versus 2LT struts - Firsthand experience comparison??