Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Brembo Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Ok, I will add the pin kit.
What about the pad plates, do those come with the pads?

I do not want to get 18’s, my 17’s are good for me and the tires are a good price.

I will call ZZP today.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I was just wishing, for my HHR, my 16’s are just fine.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM

ZZP will not sell the spacers separate.
They want you to buy the whole kit from them.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Oh, now that’s not nice!
3mm thick , what about the splash spacer the comes on the LS/LT

Part #5, perhaps double of that to move the hub out to centre the rotor in the calliper.

So much for that idea, only .9 mm thick. I don’t recommend stacking them.

This one was 0.8 mm thick , but you have a pattern. Now some 3 mm thick metal and a few hours fabricating

Last edited by Oldblue; 06-13-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 PM

I do not know if they are 3mm hub spacers, but the brembo install from the guy with an LT on here used a 1/8” wheel spacer which is about 3mm to allow his 17” rim not to hit.

When I upgraded to the non brembo SS caliper bracket and rotor I had to put a thin washer behind the caliper and a 3mm wheel spacer behind the rotor not the wheel.

I did this to center the rotor with the caliper as it was rubbing.

so sadly I think that means I have the shorter spindles and it may not work. Or it could be that SS bracket and factory caliper did not get along well.

Maybe the Brembo one will fit together better, since it is not two different parts that are not really meant for each other.
The LT install did not mention the need for the hub spacers though, but who knows he could have had longer spindles with a different year.

I might have to order just one caliper and do a fit check for both rim hitting and rotor centering.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 AM

I bought my spacers on summit racing, this ZZP kit came after my original write up on how to do this. I bought my calipers from a junk yard that shipped them to me. The Front Brembo Calipers do not have any brackets like a traditional Caliper. the Bracket is built into the Caliper which makes the whole process of changing your pads and Rotors much easier. the below aren't the exact spacers i used but you get the idea. I only used the spacers because on my 2006 2LT the 17 inch wheels were real close to the caliper and i was afraid of them rubbing/touching . See my original post form 7 years ago for some great pics by members and others. its a very easy upgrade for the fronts. good luck.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...-06-2lt-41839/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...CABEgL3p_D_BwE
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Administrator

So you didn’t need the place a spacer between the steering knuckle and hub.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:22 PM

You do realize that this is a purely cosmetic upgrade, right? There will be no improved braking under 95% of circumstances. You free to do as you choose, but if your ABS module and master cylinder aren't replaced, well you could get the same thing by painting your calipers...
Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Administrator

The ABS module is a different part number , but what would be the difference? Line Pressure? Wheel speed variation ?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM

After replacing my calipers with lifetime ones at orielly auto parts, they rust. I have replaced them twice and they rust immediately. After trying to get my money back they told me that rust is normal as long as they still work. So I am done with that, the front wheels look like the car is a million years old because of all the rust.

These are powder coated and are more hassle free. So in order to keep my money they will let me upgrade and move my lifetime core charge to these new ones assuming I can get everything to fit and work.

I was told there is no difference between master cylinders or other other parts and you will get the improved braking from the four cylinders?

And about the spacers, they would be used to center the rotor between the caliper, because the brembos do not have a bracket there will not be any rubbing issues as there are cylinders on each side. So it should still work without hub spacers but would be recommended for even pressure and wear if it doesn’t line up, some line up fine.

Quick Reply: Brembo Upgrade Questions