Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   Brembos up front, Disc Rear on 06 2LT (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/brembos-up-front-disc-rear-06-2lt-41839/)

pbatmen 07-14-2012 05:52 PM

Brembos up front, Disc Rear on 06 2LT

I just finished installing my Brembo calipers on my 2006 2LT. I already did a rear disc conversion about 2 months ago and now with the bigger brakes up front to complete the package the car stops great. No brake fade and when you get on it the car really grabs. I have pics but I can't figure out how to post them.

American & Proud 07-14-2012 05:56 PM

:withoutpictures:

:cool:

:skull:

American & Proud 07-14-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by pbatmen (Post 657243)
i am trying to figure out how to post them now.

:cool: Cool, I want to add rear Disks as well, AFTER my Supercharger install tho.

843de 07-14-2012 06:08 PM

Here's the "How To" on photo posting for you pbatmen, just click the link below.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/site-development-help-announcements-18/how-upload-add-pictures-your-post-old-3033/

firemangeorge 07-14-2012 06:24 PM

So. Do they look like these?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../0/7/8/031.JPG

pbatmen 07-14-2012 06:28 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...0714121742.jpg

pbatmen 07-14-2012 06:32 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...714121635a.jpg

pbatmen 07-14-2012 06:33 PM

I used 1/8 spacers from summit racing, there is no clearance issues.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...714121742b.jpg

American & Proud 07-14-2012 06:45 PM

Pics of the Rears and a HOW-TO ! :wink:

I tried buying an SS rear axle but the junk yard never sent to pics before I drove the 200 miles to go buy it, so I moved on to other projects. :lol:

The Supercharger is going in before I add rear disks now.

But a good how to with part #'s included would be very cool if you did it without buying a SS rear axle. :wink:

Fronts look good. :thumb:

pbatmen 07-14-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud (Post 657269)
Pics of the Rears and a HOW-TO ! :wink:

I tried buying an SS rear axle but the junk yard never sent to pics before I drove the 200 miles to go buy it, so I moved on to other projects. :lol:

The Supercharger is going in before I add rear disks now.

But a good how to with part #'s included would be very cool if you did it without buying a SS rear axle. :wink:

Fronts look good. :thumb:

Thanks, Here is one,the rears are not as cool as the front, all I did is find a cobalt ss rear axle end and bolt it on, very easy, but I found out the calipers are used for the parking brake and adjusting the rear parking brake is a must for a better pedal feel.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...0714122013.jpg

pbatmen 07-15-2012 07:53 AM

Here is the size difference between the 2 rotors.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...0714121532.jpg

pbatmen 08-26-2012 08:49 PM

bump

Gary B 09-10-2012 08:12 PM

Brake upgrade

I just bought a Cobalt SS rear axle off of a guy on the Cobalt SS website. Very reasonable. I am having it sandblasted and installing new hoses, rotors and pads. I also bought new parking brake cables. ABS is the same wiring on the 2005 Cobalt SS and I am reusing my rear hubs.
I also am buying Brembo front rotors, calipers and pads from the same guy and have hoses and spacers on order. I will try to do a "How to" with photos to document it.
I am also installing a Cobalt supercharger over the winter. That should be fun.

American & Proud 09-10-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gary B (Post 668480)
I just bought a Cobalt SS rear axle off of a guy on the Cobalt SS website. Very reasonable. I am having it sandblasted and installing new hoses, rotors and pads. I also bought new parking brake cables. ABS is the same wiring on the 2005 Cobalt SS and I am reusing my rear hubs.
I also am buying Brembo front rotors, calipers and pads from the same guy and have hoses and spacers on order. I will try to do a "How to" with photos to document it.

Awsome PLEASE DO a complete How To with LOT O PICS! :cool: :thumb:

Do you have ABS and Traction Control ?

pbatmen 09-11-2012 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gary B (Post 668480)

Sweet, its a good setup, the parking brake cables are a must for pedal feel and very easy to install, just a heads up with the front Brembos, I used wheel spacers from (summit racing only like 18 bucks shipped) to clear the inside of the wheel and the caliper, It looks like you have diffrent wheels then mine, (stock 06 2lt 17 in for mine) so I do not know if it matters but they did the job for me.

Gary B 09-17-2012 07:11 AM

Brake update

My "SS" wheels will pose no problem with clearance as SS HHRs came with Brembos as an option. The spacers I bought came from GM and take the place of the dust shield(backing plate) behind the rotors. I almost have all parts together to do the brake update. I will try to remember to document all of it with pictures.

American & Proud 09-17-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gary B (Post 669593)
My "SS" wheels will pose no problem with clearance as SS HHRs came with Brembos as an option. The spacers I bought came from GM and take the place of the dust shield(backing plate) behind the rotors. I almost have all parts together to do the brake update. I will try to remember to document all of it with pictures.

:twothumbs:

:skull:

pbatmen 09-21-2012 02:08 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...0831121322.jpg
rear disc
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...831121322a.jpg
parking brake cable

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...831121322b.jpg
bolt holding the rear axle beam

sorry if pics are bad, not the best photographer

Gary B 09-29-2012 08:31 AM

Brake conversion

5 Attachment(s)
Well.....I finally did my brake upgrades. Same as Pbatmen. Brembos up front and Cobalt SS rear axle. I tried to remember to take lots of pictures, but probably not as many as I should have.
The front was ridiculously simple. Unbolt the old caliper and set aside with hose attached. slip off rotor and replace with Brembo rotor. Install Brembo caliper with two bolts mounted to old caliper bracket mount position and remove and install brake hose(I used brand new GM ones and they came with the brackets and retainer bolt with copper washers. I did not use the spacers that are shown. They SS steering knuckle and hub and bearing assembly must be slightly larger than the 2LT one. I then gravity bled the system and the job was done. Then I started the rear.

Gary B 09-29-2012 08:53 AM

Rear disc brakes

4 Attachment(s)
Now for the rear.
I purchased the rear axle from a guy on the Cobalt SS site. He is also the same guy that I purchased the Brembo calipers and rotors from. He may have more available if anyone is interested. Mongorat is his call name. He is very reasonable with pricing and has quite a following. I also bought my supercharger package from him.

Gary B 09-29-2012 09:02 AM

Rear disc brakes

5 Attachment(s)
More pictures
I removed the rear drum brake axle by first removing my TTR rear bar, unbolted shocks, disconnected the rear ABS wiring and let hang(it was the same as my 07 2LT and was originally on an 05 Cobalt SS).
I removed the drums and brakes and unbolted and saved the rear hub and bearing assemblies as I was reusing them. I pinched off the two rear brake hoses and disconnected the brake lines.
The axle itself is easy. Remove the three bolts at the bracket on each side and drop it down.

Gary B 09-29-2012 09:11 AM

Rear disc brakes

3 Attachment(s)
I also bead blasted the calipers and brackets, replaced the upper and lower coil spring insulators at the top and the bottom. Installed the new (used) axle beam, bolted in the hubs, slipped the rotors on, bolted the calipers on, attached the brake hoses and lines and then replaced the rear parking brake cables. That was surprisingly easy. the top of the console pops right off and there are four 10MM nuts holding the console in. After removing it, remove the bracket on top of the cable attachment point to gain access to the front attaching point of the cables. Back off the adjustment screw and detach the inner cables. They pull out from under the vehicle and have tubes to guide them right into position(nice design). At that point I bled the brakes which did not have much air as they had been pinched off close to the calipers.

American & Proud 09-29-2012 09:15 AM

Nice job, Congrats. :twothumbs:

sleeper 09-29-2012 10:27 PM

Good info, & Nice job !!! :twothumbs:

pbatmen 11-28-2012 02:25 PM

BUMP for voigtsga, and super nice job Gary B.

voigtsga 11-28-2012 03:01 PM

Very nice...

jschmieding 12-22-2012 08:46 AM

I keep hearing some people say you need to replace the MC did any of you guys do it? How good of pedal feel you have?

pbatmen 12-22-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jschmieding (Post 684568)
I keep hearing some people say you need to replace the MC did any of you guys do it? How good of pedal feel you have?

I did not, and do not think a lot of people did as well. If you buy most any rear conversion kit on the market for all cars, they do not recomend or come with it.. Meanning large companies would not sell them (conversion kits) if they were dangerous without a MC. New MCs are reasonable priced and I might convert mine at a later date but my pedal feel is notably better once I did my rear conversion and parking brake adjustment. The parking brake cable is a must and adjusting it really helps the pedal feel with the disc brakes in the rear. The Brembos up front grab a lot better than the stock HHR calipers

pbatmen 03-28-2013 12:23 PM

I am looking to put the front brembo Calipers on the rear of my HHR, I know, this will eliminate my parking brake which I never use, but has anyone done this before, I really want to try and before I purchase the calipers I figure I would open it up on here. i was going to try to test fit my original front calipers first and see if they fit and if so go for it. Has any of the SS guys done this before?

lafinests213 03-28-2013 01:35 PM

nice

pbatmen 04-17-2013 10:36 AM

bump for SilverStreet

slinger569 05-15-2013 01:15 PM

Just wondering, does Brembo sell this set up? or do I need to get used?

pbatmen 05-16-2013 03:07 PM

I found my Front Brembo calipers at a salvage yard, they are hard to come by but can be found.

Gary B 05-20-2013 04:40 AM

Brembos

Check with Mongorat on the Cobalt SS web site. He parts out Cobalt SS cars for a living and also gets new stuff now and then. I bought mine from him and they were brand new, never installed and reasonably priced.

lafinests213 05-20-2013 05:10 PM

how much would it be to go with the brenbo kit up front?

ecopower ss 05-20-2013 06:26 PM

Awesome !!!

lafinests213 05-21-2013 02:38 PM

what parts would i need to do this brembo up front and were can i get them

pbatmen 05-21-2013 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by lafinests213 (Post 705656)
what parts would i need to do this brembo up front and were can i get them

Hey Lafinests213, It is very easy, all you need is the Brembo brake calipers, there is no bracket, its all one piece. Then all you need is the rotors and pads, depending on the size of your wheel you might need a spacer, I did. I bought my Brembos used for a salvage yard, but if you look at Gary B's post above this one he found a guy who sells them new.

lafinests213 05-21-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by pbatmen (Post 705659)
Hey Lafinests213, It is very easy, all you need is the Brembo brake calipers, there is no bracket, its all one piece. Then all you need is the rotors and pads, depending on the size of your wheel you might need a spacer, I did. I bought my Brembos used for a salvage yard, but if you look at Gary B's post above this one he found a guy who sells them new.

the brembo calipers is off an hhr ss or of the cobalt ss??? and disk and brake pad are from what car??? do you use the same brake pas of my original car or diferent one

pbatmen 05-23-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by lafinests213 (Post 705661)
the brembo calipers is off an hhr ss or of the cobalt ss??? and disk and brake pad are from what car??? do you use the same brake pas of my original car or diferent one

the calipers can come off a cobalt ss or hhr ss, I think the cobalts had that option 2008 and later and the HHR 2009 or later, not 100% sure, so it is imperitive that you get the brembo calipers. The rotors and pads are diffrent than whats on your HHR now, you can go to rockauto.com or your local advanced auto or auto zone and get the rotors and pads. Real easy upgrade.

good luck