Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   Brembos up front, Disc Rear on 06 2LT (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/brembos-up-front-disc-rear-06-2lt-41839/)

RF2 07-06-2014 12:42 PM

disc tabs

2 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of manufacturing weld on tabs for drum to disc conversion. All you do is have them welded on , drill two holes for the caliper and your done. I have six sets out now. Only one problem, as I said you have to have them welded on, by a professional welder. Not by a 110v stick box. Welding is around $75. I will be selling tabs for $200. They use all stock cobalt ss hardware. The bolt on type, some use GM calipers and some don't. So replacement parts can be tricky. Bolt on ones also move the rear hub outboard 3/8 of an inch and move the axle load to the 4 bolts, instead of the hub flange.

phrog fixer 08-18-2014 07:33 PM

Okay been holding off with the NON-Brembo front brake and SS rear beam disc brake conversion. mods, things just pop up. Anyway, looking at buying new rotors for the mods. What rotors/pads would you recommend? Seen some sets on e-bay, was told about AutoZone. Slotted, drilled hole, dimpled, stock surface........?

pbatmen 08-28-2014 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by phrog fixer (Post 756111)
Okay been holding off with the NON-Brembo front brake and SS rear beam disc brake conversion. mods, things just pop up. Anyway, looking at buying new rotors for the mods. What rotors/pads would you recommend? Seen some sets on e-bay, was told about AutoZone. Slotted, drilled hole, dimpled, stock surface........?

Hey Phrog fixer, I had the cross drilled before i made the switch to Brembos, i had cross dilled and slotted on past cars and dont like the slotted, i think there is a little vibration and noise with them, cross drilled came on both of me Mercedes from the factory, they keep the rotors cooler in my opinion and provide a better feel in wet conditions.. that being said, make sure if you go the crossdrilled route, you buy the ones with holes everywhere, once again, my opinion from experience.. dont forget, keeping the rotor cooler provides less fade and will keep it from warping longer..

pbatmen 05-14-2015 11:02 AM

Bump for 07azhhr on how to put front Brembos on etc....

Ktmrider 05-16-2015 10:35 AM

Wow! What a great thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed tech, parts sources, how to's and photos. This makes the convesion on my wife's '06 LT a far less daunting and expensive project. This will be next on my project list.

DwRed2LT 05-25-2015 08:50 PM

Cool conversion Pbatmen !

pbatmen 07-08-2015 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by DwRed2LT (Post 780614)
Cool conversion Pbatmen !

thanks DwRed2LT...and bump for Gio89kid

pbatmen 06-17-2016 08:48 AM

BUmp For Clintsal

HHRFritz 06-29-2016 04:44 PM

Glad you posted where you got the rear discs. I've been wondering whether the RDBs and/or axle from the Cobalt would fit.
Also, if you haven't done it it yet, the Cobalt Stainless header from Amazon is a direct replacement for the non-turbo HHRs.

Frenchy42 07-05-2016 03:45 AM

The Cobalt axle is a direct fit. I used the one from a Cobalt 2.4 SS on my LT. The entire exhaust from a 2.2, 2.4, or 2.0SC will also directly swap, as long as it's the same transmission. The only difference is the tailpipe on the Cobalts sticks out about 4-6" past the HHR bumper, so you have to section it, and there is one hanger on the muffler that needs to be moved. Everything else from exhaust manifold to the muffler bolts right in.