Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Cobalt SS Struts and springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Cobalt SS Struts and springs

I found a blown strut so I decided to upgrade to a gas strut. The price between the monroes and the factory SS struts were the same. I decided to go with the SS struts and ss springs. It has made a huge difference in the ride and handling. I have the LS which I am pretty sure came with the crappiest suspension.

I figued I would share as it cost me less then 300 for the total job including shipping. Even the non blown strut could be pushed down with one hand and I have only 17,000 miles on my car. I am going to upgrade the tires too so I hope it will improve the handling even more.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Some people with ls cobalts do the same thing, plus you drop about an inch.

Last edited by 1Panel2NV; 09-07-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 AM

so would these struts be a decent match for the gl springs? I am looking to replace my factory struts.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 AM

They would be better than stock anyway. Not sure if there would be a huge difference. Might be able to find some cheap on cobaltss.net
Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM

for me it made a huge differencce. I belive the LS's come with the non gas charged shocks and struts so putting some in helped. Plus the height difference is large. The stock height of the ss spring to the ls spring was at least 2 inches difference. I was suprised at how much shorter it was and woried about bottoming out all the time. I haven't yet and i drive very hard and very fast.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:24 PM

my front is already dropped and I am not sure I can go any further but I need to figure a strut to match the springs, not quite sure how to do that. I have the 1LT suspension, probably the same as yours was.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:39 PM

I have a LS with the crap soft suspension. I am pretty sure you have the sport suspension. I would give the cobalt ss struts a try since no one else seems to have come out with anything for the HHR. I am proably going to order the SS rear shocks and springs. I have the goldline leveling spring out back now. If you are happy with the ride and handling then leave it alone if you aren't happy then give the ss ones a try. I went with the ss setup becasue stealerships can't really give me crap if they are GM parts being used to lower the car.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM

it's not really the ride, that seems ok to me, it just the added stress on my stockers is eventually going to make them give way. so I was thinking that I could get shorter more stiff struts to replace and maybe make up the diff. between the stockers and the gl's and hopefully keep it about where its at, it's pretty low in front already. and my ride is just a 2.2 lt, I imagine the stock suspension is nothing special, I think the sport suspension came with the 2lts...I dunno
Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
I think the sport suspension came with the 2lts...I dunno

Only the 2LT has the "sport suspension".
Old 09-09-2008, 05:47 PM

Cobalt SS Struts and Springs

Hey Pumpkin, You started this post with total cost of less than $300.00 shipped? Do you have a part number on the Front Struts as I already have the Springs! Also who did you purchase them from? And while were on the subject does anyone have a part number for an Cobalt SS Rear Shock? I am hoping a Cobalt Rear SS Shock will cross over and fit my 08 1LT Panel! (Replacement SS HHR Parts seem to be double in some cases as compared to the SS Cobalts Replacement Parts)! Thanks to All... "DLVRNIT"

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS Struts and springs