Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Creaking like an old door!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Creaking like an old door!

So my LT has been creaking over bumps and when I brake for quite some time now. Replaced the sway bar links over the summer and the bushings (energy suspension) and it seemed the noise went away. I also check the bushings every time I do an oil change to see if they need to be greased.

On dry days the noise is almost non existent, but when it's raining it's really bad. Could it be the front struts, or the control arms? Struts were replaced around 50K and my car is currently approaching 105K miles.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like it's time for a guess.......have you replaced the strut top bushing ?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Sounds like it's time for a guess.......have you replaced the strut top bushing ?
I have not, but it will be replaced when I install the BC coilovers in the spring. So maybe the noise is coming from the front struts - they do have over 55k miles.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Most of the time a creaking noise is from a joint that no long has grease in it. (Dry). Struts can make the noise also.

With an assistant bouncing the car most of the time you can feel a dry joint creaking with you hand.

Feel the inner and outer tie rod,the sway bar links and ball joints.
LOOK BEFORE YOU TOUCH there are pinch points that can pinch finger and hands when bouncing the suspension.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Most of the time a creaking noise is from a joint that no long has grease in it. (Dry). Struts can make the noise also.

With an assistant bouncing the car most of the time you can feel a dry joint creaking with you hand.

Feel the inner and outer tie rod,the sway bar links and ball joints.
LOOK BEFORE YOU TOUCH there are pinch points that can pinch finger and hands when bouncing the suspension.
Good to know - I'll have to check it out. Thanks Lucky!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Strut bearings are ball bearings contained in a plastic ring I lubed mine with white lithium grease slathered into the thicker ring then placed the thinner ring on top and reassembled,
This lasted for 75,000 miles then I replaced the bearing plate as an assembly as the rubber inner bushing were hard and cracked with 155,000 miles on them
So you can lube them and reuse them or just replace them I got the replacemts from A1Auto on line

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-05-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:51 PM

I'm more inclined to think it is the bushings in the lower control arm. I had that arthritis creak in my car until I replaced all the bushings in mine.

I have the equipment here at home so I was able to just push out the old bushings and push in new ones, you probably do not and hiring a local shop to do this for you might just cost you as much as totally replacing the lower control arm would {some times you will find some good prices on eBay}

The smaller of the two rubber bushings is what I think was making all the noise on my car but the best way to remove it from the lower control arm is to remove it from the car and since I did that and had all the new replacement bushings on hand along with my homebuilt press I just went ahead and replaced all 4 of them {I did both sides so yes I used a total of 4 new bushings.} .
Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I'm more inclined to think it is the bushings in the lower control arm. I had that arthritis creak in my car until I replaced all the bushings in mine.

I have the equipment here at home so I was able to just push out the old bushings and push in new ones, you probably do not and hiring a local shop to do this for you might just cost you as much as totally replacing the lower control arm would {some times you will find some good prices on eBay}

The smaller of the two rubber bushings is what I think was making all the noise on my car but the best way to remove it from the lower control arm is to remove it from the car and since I did that and had all the new replacement bushings on hand along with my homebuilt press I just went ahead and replaced all 4 of them {I did both sides so yes I used a total of 4 new bushings.} .
Luckily my brother is a mechanic who helps me keep this HHR running to its fullest potential. We'll have to check the control arms to see if the bushings are dry.

Advance Auto has Moog bushings for 15 each. Looks like an easy fix - pop old ones out, slide the new ones in?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 PM

The bushings are pressed in and out of the control arms. I have done a few but I used a press.

The complete control arms are not very costly and you get new a new ball joint.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM

Id say bushings also, seeing as how alot 9f creaking noises are from bushings. With moisture comes noise. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Creaking like an old door!