Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Emergency Brake Didn't Release

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Emergency Brake Didn't Release

Today, as I'm pulling out of the driveway, I put the emergency brake lever down and put the car in reverse, and proceeded to go nowhere. My emergency brake was still engaged.

I put the brake up and down again and was good to go.

Not sure if it had anything to do with the copious amounts of rain yesterday on my 100 mile trek to the Jersey shore and back, but I was wondering if doing this once is anything to worry about?

Perhaps a bit of rust? I had no problem with anything since, and the emergency brake released every time since.

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM

I had this happen in my old car. It was a '92 honda prelude 5-speed and it would do it about once a month. I got down and started lookin at the emergency brake cable and where you can adjust the tension, it was rusted a little bit. From what I could tell, the rust was causing the tension not to be released even after the handle had been let down.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by tplyons
Not sure if it had anything to do with the copious amounts of rain yesterday on my 100 mile trek to the Jersey shore and back, but I was wondering if doing this once is anything to worry about?

Perhaps a bit of rust? I had no problem with anything since, and the emergency brake released every time since.

Thoughts?
I'd be willing to bet that is exactly what caused it. When I have parked mine wet, especially salty slush, the back brakes really lock up tight. A while back it was 2-3 days after I had parked in the rain. When I went to back out of the garage it hesitated, and then ther was a big POP and the calipers finally released!

I was assuming you have an SS like me, but if not maybe the drum brakes in the rear of the standard HHR's has the same issue...
Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
I'd be willing to bet that is exactly what caused it. When I have parked mine wet, especially salty slush, the back brakes really lock up tight. A while back it was 2-3 days after I had parked in the rain. When I went to back out of the garage it hesitated, and then ther was a big POP and the calipers finally released!

I was assuming you have an SS like me, but if not maybe the drum brakes in the rear of the standard HHR's has the same issue...
'07 LS here. Drums in the rear.

I found it ironic considering it just had the 30,000 mile tune-up on Wednesday, that I had my first problem four days after being serviced.

I am one of those people who pulls the brake ALL the way up, just to be safe, so I wonder if that influences it at all.