Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front end rehab 2009 HHR Panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 PM

Front end rehab 2009 HHR Panel

I just purchased a New (to me) 2008 HHR Panel. Nice Vehicle 124K miles, was a fleet vehicle that was purchased in Kentucky, I am in Ohio. Very Clean, never seen salt in the winter, has a few dings, however, the Dent Wizard is going to take all of the small dimples out and off to the paint shop. It was a good deal.....I think....

Anyway, I really like the body style and since it has been well maintained, I figured I should go the rest of the way, and start making it mine and using all of the information gleaned here from the experts....that said, I am going to start with the front end this week and see if I can chase the Gremlins out of the front end and get rid of the clunking I have.

Thus far, I have decided to up grade the front end with the following hardened parts, I've seen many here recommend, starting with the following:

• Moog Problem Solver lower control arm, with Ball Joint, and Bushing Upgrade (installed).
  • Monroe Complete Strut Assembly w/intermediate shaft in steering assembly...like a u-joint.
  • Front Sway Bar with Mounts and inner and outer Bushings 25mm, and Grease Fittings, end links too.
  • New Wheel Bearings and Seals
For the Rear, a rear sway bar

If any of the experts that have already done this job and relieved the clunking, please chime in as I would like to see if I can take care of the problem on the first go round.

After a couple of days reading this forum, this is what I came up with. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated, or if you think I have overlooked or have a specific manufacturer I am open to suggestions.....after the suspension, I am going to get the brakes dialed in and get rid of the pulsing when slowing down.

Thanks in advance to the Forum Gurus who know the HHR and have gone before me....

Regis
Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 PM

I think you are on the right track. Everything you mentioned are great parts and it certinaly won't hurt.

Welcome to he forum. Panels rock!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Regis!!
Neat little rides these are

I'm not aware of the Moog bushing/ bearing available already installed, but please post a part number if you have one!

Let's see now first question, are all these parts required?
Have you confirmed these parts are worn out or did you want to just start fresh with your new to you panel?

I've got one more suggestion and that is check your timing chain tensioner if the head is a thin flat bolt like piece back behind the head near the water pump, change it , if you hear a little rattle noise on start up!
If the part is about a 1/2 thick bolt head with a dome like bump in the middle it's ok that's the new style tensioner!

Cheers
Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 PM

The Problem Solver....

Originally Posted by Oldblue

I'm not aware of the Moog bushing/ bearing available already installed, but please post a part number if you have one!

Have you confirmed these parts are worn out or did you want to just start fresh with your new to you panel?

I've got one more suggestion and that is check your timing chain tensioner if the head is a thin flat bolt like piece back behind the head near the water pump, change it , if you hear a little rattle noise on start up!
If the part is about a 1/2 thick bolt head with a dome like bump in the middle it's ok that's the new style tensioner!

Cheers

Here is the information in a link I gleaned from this site,

gio-outdoors: Upgrading Chevy HHR Lower Control Arms

the part number was not mentioned, however, at the parts warehouse where I purchase, they said it was in stock and I will have the information and part number for you tomorrow. The LCA is a bit expensive at $185.42 per side, however, the good news is the installation is going to be relatively simple compared to doing the ball joints, and control arm bushing separately, and not requiring to press them in....

I will report back soon as I have the number.....

Regis
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 PM

Problem Solver LCA update

Correction, my HHR is a 2008 not a 2009.

I found this at Summit, here not far from Cleveland.....not specifically listed for a HHR, however, a 2008 Cobalt is listed.....does anyone know if this will fit the HHR, if so Ill get it at summit, and save an additional 60 bucks.....

Regis

Moog Problem Solver Control Arms CK620302 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Old 10-27-2015, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

That one is made of stamped steel, not cast aluminium which is what the HHR is originally supplied with. Many here would probably consider the stamped steel one to be a downgrade, even though it reportedly will fit.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 AM

Parts

Originally Posted by Oldblue

Cheers
Old Blue,

I've got a good friend/mechanic that is willing to change that parts more than reasonable, so I thought if the labor is that cheap, just go ahead and replace the parts with what was recommended on this site. I do believe you are correct, I checked a few sites, amazon, sunnit, etc. no one has it in one piece, it appears a R and R is going to need to be done and press in the parts, etc......OK here comes the "stupid question"....

If this part is available for a Cobalt SS, and another PN for an 08 HHR SS (not panel which is what I have), can I use the SS/Cobalt part or will this be creating additional problems....

the HHR is an LT Model...

Regis
Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Fwiw. The HHR SS has a different sized ball joint than the regular HHR's.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Turbo Tech Racing Parts

All,

thanks for your input to me and assistance in getting the correct parts for the HHR.

I found a front and rear Sway bar kit from TTR for the 08 HHR Panel, however, it appears the front sway bar kit from TTR is only 22 MM vs. the 25 MM that is posted on this site as the correct part. Is the HHR Car a 22 MM and the Panel a 25 MM Based on utility? Just looking to get the correct part so I can order today and get the parts before the snow flurries hit....many have stated the TTR is superior to others, and I am also installing the front up graded motor mount from TTR as well......Below is a link to the TTR front/rear sway bar kit. 22 MM and 19 MM respectively.

Regis

Suspension Techniques Front and Rear Swaybar Kit Chevrolet HHR 2006-09 - Suspension
Old 10-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Stick with LT parts for the HHR!! Check your glove box door sticker does it say 1LT or 2LT
Does it say FE1 or FE3 ?
Either way the LCA rear bushing is a press job and the ball joints are pretty easy to.
I did my at home on the cement floor no press just my air chisel and a hand drill motor.
Oh and my BFH 8 lbs of percussion!

Quick Reply: Front end rehab 2009 HHR Panel