Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Goldline leveling spring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Goldline leveling spring question

Hi All,

I recently ordered and installed a set of Goldline Rear Leveling Springs. They arrived fast (thanks Truckshop.com) and the install was very easy, one hour and 18 minutes start to finish. The look is great and the ride is acceptable (2LT w/sport suspension), but I have a problem with noise. Thats right...noise. It sounds as thought something is rattling around back there whenever I go over a bump. I've checked and re-checked and can find nothing loose. So, I removed the Goldlines and put the stockers back in......no noise.

Before I changed back to the stock springs, I put the vehicle on ramps and found that the bottom couple of coils are inside each other when at rest. It seems to me that the next coil may just be making contact with the bottom coils when going over bumps, thus causing the noise. I guess it could best be described as "limited coil bind". Just so you know, this is without any load, only me, by myself in the vehicle. Has anyone else had this problem with these springs?

My springs arrived without any instructions, so I just went by what I found in the various threads, on installing new springs. I installed them according to the picture shown here; https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...light=goldline

I'd really like to put them back in because it was the look that I originally wanted. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 PM

That is what I have as well, I have talked to Jeff about this problem and he has said that there was a fix for the noise.

http://www.goldlineonline.com/silencer_tubing_i.htm
A lenth of rubber hose can be used in place of the Honda part they suggest.

I have yet to do this. I need to put the car up on a ramp for the pics, on a lift you do not see this.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks Karen, so I'm not alone with this problem. Yeah, I saw that on Goldline's site and was hoping that wasn't going to be the "fix". Guess I'll have to pickup some dense tubing and see if it works. I'll let you know.

Pat
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 PM

Glad to help, could not get Nemo on the lift today.
I was at a Custom Graphic and Performance shop.
Pic were taken of Nemo for the Tribal Flame Beltline Wrap design.
More later.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Ok, the guys at Goldline got back to me very quickly about the noise problem and told me to install the Honda spring silencers. I put the silencers on the springs and re-installed them. I took it out for a test drive and now the rattling noise has been replaced with kind of a dull thud when I go over a bump. It's better, but still not right.

FYI, the sliencers are about .400" ID and the springs are about .530" OD, so I had to use some 3M electrical tape to hold them in place. Like I told Craig at Goldline, my concern is the long term viability of this "fix". I fear that the constant pounding will cause the silencers to either fall out or fail all together. At this point, I'm going to see if Goldline can come up with a better "fix" before I decide what to do with the springs.

I did take pictures of what the springs look like in the compressed and uncompressed form. Also took a few with the silencers installed. If you are interested, let me know.

Regards,
Pat
Old 05-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by RaceOn
I did take pictures of what the springs look like in the compressed and uncompressed form. Also took a few with the silencers installed. If you are interested, let me know.

Regards,
Pat

Pat,

I have the same Goldline Leveling Springs installed on my HHR. No noise or problems yet but would really like to see the pictures you took so I can keep an eye out for the potential problem on my HHR.

If I PM you my email address, maybe you could attach a couple of the photos so I can see what is happening.

By the way, did you say the box arrived WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS?

Were the springs shipped in a sealed air-filled clear plastic bag like mine were?

Just curious...

BK
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM

I Have Them On Mine And I Have No Noise,are The Plates In Place.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Pat,

I have the same Goldline Leveling Springs installed on my HHR. No noise or problems yet but would really like to see the pictures you took so I can keep an eye out for the potential problem on my HHR.

If I PM you my email address, maybe you could attach a couple of the photos so I can see what is happening.

By the way, did you say the box arrived WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS?

Were the springs shipped in a sealed air-filled clear plastic bag like mine were?

Just curious...

BK
BK, if you don't have a problem right now, I doubt that you ever will. PM your e-mail address and I'll send you pictures of what I have. BTW, they just arrived in plastic bags, no sealed air-filled stuff here, and no instructions.

Regards,
Pat
Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by g.chinn2
I Have Them On Mine And I Have No Noise,are The Plates In Place.
I never heard of anyone having a problem with Goldlines, that's why I bought them. There just has to be something wrong here. And yes, everything is back in place as it was originally. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards,
Pat
Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by karen1953
That is what I have as well, I have talked to Jeff about this problem and he has said that there was a fix for the noise.

http://www.goldlineonline.com/silencer_tubing_i.htm
A lenth of rubber hose can be used in place of the Honda part they suggest.

I have yet to do this. I need to put the car up on a ramp for the pics, on a lift you do not see this.
So Karen...

Do you still have the Goldline leveling springs on your HHR? Or did you exchange them?

Quick Reply: Goldline leveling spring question