Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Issues with ABS traction Control and cruise control.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 04:31 PM

Issues with ABS traction Control and cruise control.

Hello all I'm new herebut sure am happy I found the site.
I have a 2011 HHR LT1 with the 2.2 that I recently replaced the wheel bearings, brakes, rotors and CV shafts as well as a bunch of other improvements but they don't have anything to do with my problem so I won't list.

My problem is now that I've replaced the bearings and cc shafts my abs and traction control lights are still on and my cruise control stopped working.

I've tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer I've checked to make sure the sensor rings on the CV shafts are in place I know I put the bearings in the proper way so they should be working correctly.

I'm at the point where I'm going to try ordering and installing new bearings was just hoping some of you HHR VETS might have some options for me to try before going that route.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing your possible solutions.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:48 PM

to the forums!

Did you have ABS or Traction control warnings before you did the work?

Did you do the work yourself?

Did you get a diagnosis based on codes?
Old 08-06-2021, 05:04 PM

What sensor rings on CV shaft? None on HHR, they are part of the bearings.
You say "but they have nothing to do with this problem" ; how sure are you.
The CC will not work if the Traction control is not. Seemingly unrelated?
Old 08-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, you don’t mention a CEL or a pending code from the OBD II port, perhaps a trip to a parts palace near you and ask them to check and read the codes, several can effect the TC and the CC.
Please just post the code, like P0014 or P0010 and we can analyze.
You can also post the hubs you installed, brand name and part number
Old 08-06-2021, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

I have to ask.
Is there any damage to the wires that go to the bearings?
Like Donbrew stated that's where the ABS is connected.
Did you install bearings with the ABS rings?
Some HHR's had ABS and some didn't.
If the issue was not present before the exchange of parts...........
Old 08-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Administrator

In 2011 all HHR models had ABS , the sensors are integral to the bearing hub, the wires might be loose in the connector, the problem could be in the rear hubs , a code reader capable of reading ABS codes will indicate which corner has the issue.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:15 PM

Thank you for all the reply's.There were no codes before i did the work and I did the work myself. I'm not ASE certified but have been working on cars since a very young age so I'm confident in my work. the wiring all seems fine at least what i can visually see. the Hub assembly I got from Advanced auto parts its made by Driveworks Part # on their website is - NT513206
the CV axle shafts I got from Amazon
Amazon Amazon
I haven't Scanned it for codes yet I was hoping it was just something simple and had to do with the work done, that and i loaned a friend my scanner but ill pick it up tomorrow and post the codes as soon as I find out what they are.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:09 AM

Hi Mark9724:

You need an enhanced code reader that can read ABS codes, which will not show up on the cheap code readers.

Almost certainly, you will find that there is an ABS code that points to a sensor/wiring problem at one of the corners (it will says which one, LF for example).

I have had water get into a connector and corrode the copper stranded wire until it turned to powder almost. The corrosion will work its way up the wire once it gets in. I have a Pontiac minivan where the corrosion had travelled several feet up the wiring.

It's possible that corrosion started a while ago, and when you touched the connections the wire broke inside the connector or somewhere inside the wire insulation. The only way to tell is to run a resistance check across the two wires of the sensor AT THE ABS MODULE CONNECTOR. This will check for an open circuit anywhere in the wiring or a bad ABS sensor in the new hub.

You can check the resistance across the wires on the new hub at the connector to see if you have a bad ABS sensor in the new hub (yes, it happens sometime even to new parts). I think the resistance should be around 1300 ohms if I remember correctly.

I live in Lockport so I know all about corrosion issues, unfortunately.

Steve