Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 PM

Lower control arms

Had ignition recall done today. Wife had them give it their peace of mind inspection cause we have a noise in front which sounds like a flutter when you are drive along at 80km per hour but you are almost coasting. noise does not change by applying the brakes but goes away if you just slightly steer in either direction.
They have called ball joints and priced out complete control arms plus of course the infamous stabilizer links as well as one axle seal.
Has anyone got a can price on control arms lately? i have checked gm parts
and my dealer has priced these out using part # at 91.52 ea
Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Just check various auto parts stores for the prices yourself (Lordco, Canadian Tire, Napa etc.). The prices vary a little, but not that much, and you most likely will have to call your local store(s). No Canadian prices have been quoted here that I can remember.

That price of $91.52 sounds darned good, if it includes the rear bushing and ball joint preinstalled. Sure beats the price a couple of years ago in Canada from our local dealer.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 PM

All good Whopper, I got the clarification from dealer today. It was a play on their system.
They left the description as control arm but the pricing is actually for jobber ball joint.
I knew something was up.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Technical Moderator

But, still look on Ebay they cost around $89 each US from Canadian companies. Most of the time shipping to the US is the same as Canada from Canadian companies. I's US to you that sucks!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM

In the US, Autozone has em' for about $130. They are the all aluminum ones but the ball joint does not have a grease fitting. O'Reilly's has em' for the same price but they are all steel and a ball joint with a grease fitting. O'Reilly's ball joint seams to be better quality IMO. They both have a lifetime warranty which in again IMO, you will need.

I was replacing the left side because the bushing was totally shot. Got that one at O'Reilly's. Didn't realize it was the all steel one. would have prefered the aluminum one but was stranded until the job was done. I replaced my one I got from Autozone for free after about a year because the bushing was starting to rip and the ball joint was a bit sloppy. I'm glad I looked at it while I was under there.

I checked the dealer while getting a t-stat from them. They wanted about $200 for em' and of course no lifetime warranty with that but may be a slightly better part. Your still going to have to replace it though depending on your roads I guess. In Detroit they are a mess.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Technical Moderator

The steel ones belong on Cobalts! Parts books don't seem to know the difference.

Who cares about grease fittings any more, this is the 21st century. If the OEM ball joints last for over 100K without Zerks, why wouldn't replacements do the same.

I have a pair in my garage that I paid $170 shipped in 3 days. I think a lifetime guarantee costs about $10 more. EBay is not a bad place to shop.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Try EBay.ca then click free shipping, I just got a set from Prime Choice $135.00
Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Technical Moderator

Prime Choice is one of my favorites. I guess they do charge extra for US customers.

They also have a real "no hassle" return policy, I've used it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The steel ones belong on Cobalts! Parts books don't seem to know the difference.

Who cares about grease fittings any more, this is the 21st century. If the OEM ball joints last for over 100K without Zerks, why wouldn't replacements do the same.

I have a pair in my garage that I paid $170 shipped in 3 days. I think a lifetime guarantee costs about $10 more. EBay is not a bad place to shop.
My greaseless ball joint aftermarket LCA only lasted a year.

How does lifetime warranty work with mail order? Have to spend $ to ship it back?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Administrator

different policies for different company's !!

Quick Reply: Lower control arms