Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:15 PM

lower control arms

I bought these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Control...5/222792429478 a few months ago & just now got around to putting them on. First off as someone one else noted, the three mounting bolts are borderline too short and not of high quality.They are 8.8 grade & if you try to torque them to 50lbs they wont take it. I picked up some 10.9 bolts with adequate length and went ahead with the install. When it came time for the pinch bolts I found that the shoulders were too long & you run out of threads before any pinching is achieved. I reused the old pinch bolts..When letting it down off the jack stands I noticed a squeak or creak... The noise was coming from the left side. I drove it a bit & jacked it up & rechecked my work.. At this point I re greased the ball joint straight, full left, full right. While letting the jack down I knew I hadn't fixed anything . I drove it 150-200 miles over some secondary roads to see if it would come out of it but it stayed the same. It squeaked going down the road if you gave the wheel a quick turn, over bumps, braking, even while sitting still after coming to a stop as things settled. I also noticed a slight tightness or stickiness in the steering at the wheel. I jacked it up and put the old one back on the left, back to normal , just the bushing clunk. I looked at the available replacement ball joints and decided on the AC Delco 45D10711. Lots bad reviews of the Moogs. AC Delco claims Reduced end play and low-rotating torque.. It arrived today, nice 12.9 grade bolts for mounting and pinch position all the correct length and you can move the ball stud by hand without tapping it..The easy movement of the ball stud really helps when aligning the stud with the knuckle making the install much easier... All installed and no noises.. So, long story short, don't buy these lower control arms from ebay and the AC Delco 45D10711 is a nice piece.. wildherre
Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 PM

New control arms are supposed to come with ball joints already installed, with rivets. So I'm not sure that I would accept the seller's claim that they are new, without investigating. If the bolts are too short, it is because they are designed to bolt the ball joint to a stamped steel control arm. This seller does not seem to know what they are doing.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Administrator

X2 looks like they buy LCA’s from recyclers then install a new rear bushing and drill out the rivers and include a cheap ball joint.
You’re right about don’t buy those , and the Moog ball joints come with the correct fasteners.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:33 AM

If you get a complete unit, buy MOOG. Thats what mines had on it for the last 50 or 60 thousand miles and they are still tight and working well.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 AM

This is why I never buy parts from Ebay. In the long it can cost you more. Not just in dollars, but also in time spent. How much is that worth?