Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering my HHR what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Cool Lowering my HHR what do I need?

So, I will be lowering my HHR as soon as Christmas and I would like to know what all I need to get for this job.

I will be buying Goldline lowering springs, but will I need any other parts to make the lowering go smoothly or will the GL's be enough for a good safe ride?
Sway-bar etc?

I've read a few How-to's on the subject and it doesn't seem like too hard of a job, how did you guys that have drop springs on your cars do them? Did you take them to a shop or do it your selves?

Thanks for the information guys!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 PM
XXL

Rear springs pop in fairly easily. You'll need a jack, jackstands, a prybar, safety glasses, and elbow grease. Fronts will require spring compressors (many auto parts stores offer these as rentals) and the above equipment, as well as a ratchet/socket or wrench to release to top of the strut assembly from the tower. If you've done this kind of thing before, it's as straightforward as any other similarly set-up car, and shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours. If you're not familiar, and/or don't have the necessary tools, don't try to do the job. Find a competent shop to do it for you. Springs are dangerous when compressed, and have been known to launch across garages and seriously injure.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM

thank you very much for the info!
all you guys have been tons of help to me and ive only been posting for 2 or 3 days!

any one have anything else to add?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/picture-media-11/pics-my-hhr-ss-sitting-pedders-springs-25881/

There's pics of a lowered HHR SS in the thread linked above. Looks really sharp, imo!

Make sure you post pics for all to see when you're done!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM

With the Goldlines is a camber correction kit needed?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Lowered mine in about 2 1/2 hours. Auto Zone had the spring compressors
(2) needed, they charge you the cost of the tool (50 to 60 bucks) but you get it all back when you return the tool. I used an air impact (less knuckle busting) and made it easy..go slow and work safe and you'll be fine..

Had it aligned after and the Tec said it was Good !

Go to my "View public profile" and see the pic of the Mini Bourbon"
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM

how much did it cost you to get it aligned after the drop?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 PM

when I lowered the front of my saturn ion (same as the HHR) I had a problem taking apart the struts with a basic socket, an air wrench made it so much easier. not sure if thats because of the ion upper mount or not, but I found that without the faster turning that the air wrench gives you it was a PITA. I'd suggest just removing them and taking them to a shop. Might cost a bit more, but its alot easier then using a socket. Then again I did the spring drop 3 years ago and have since learned alot. Just giving you a heads up.

Basicly
If you have experience do it yourself, if not remove the struts and take them to a shop (might even be able to get it cheap with cash).
Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 PM

I have a 07 HHR lowered with "Goldline" springs, and had no problem installing them. I did borrow a spring compressor for the front. But had the front and rear done in about 2 hours. Also didn't have to use the alignment bushing that comes with the springs. Even after about a week front wheel alignment was good. I guess i got lucky. But love the look and the ride.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:25 PM

just out of curiosity what size rims I have 20" rims and I do not think I could have used goldline or the sportsline springs I used the pro kit and it worked perfect with 20s

Quick Reply: Lowering my HHR what do I need?