Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

need a brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 PM

need a brake

2006 HHR 63k miles

Steering wheel vibrates when braking. Harder brake less vibration.
2nd set of rotors and pads. Just had em turned in Nov. 5k miles ago.
If rotors warped AGAIN! Is there really anything to be done ie. better rotors etc. available. Have read many posts on forum and searched on internet.
Did the folks downtown really make that bad a front end and brakes that I must change or turn rotors every 5k or so? No I do not drive heavy on the brake. Drive like egg under foot. Front end parts check out ok. Been driving 40 years never had problems with brakes like this.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Have you ever checked the adjustment on the rear brakes ?

I have & am still on oem rotors/pads drums & shoes. Smooth stopping.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM
geg

can be a problem - calipers?
If they are not functioning properly, they are crooked pressed the brake pads. The curves of the brake pads - spoil rotors. It's a shame.
Easy test.
Pull the brake pads. Visual inspection.
Uneven wear of brake pads - a sign of a faulty caliper. If it is found - a visual review of the caliper.
Cleanse the caliper of dirt. Carefully inspect. Rubber parts should not have cracks and breaks. Cylinder and other moving parts caliper should not have corrosion or scratches.
Sometimes the caliper can be repaired. Repair kits are on sale.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Not an expert on this but ours like most we have read about the braking vibration or shudder usually gets worse when pressure is applied! Does it do it when your HHR is only nice and warm? Does seem as though if it's a returning symptom (5,000 miles after a resurface) you could need a better set of rotors such as the napa premiums that everyone that has used them has had good luck with! Also with the front wheel drive platform that the HHR is based on does generate alot of heat and unlike rear wheel drive cars of the past turning the front rotors usually just seems to be a bandaid for the enevitable of purchasing a new set of rotors!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of:
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by zeke
2006 HHR 63k miles

Steering wheel vibrates when braking. Harder brake less vibration.
2nd set of rotors and pads. Just had em turned in Nov. 5k miles ago.
If rotors warped AGAIN! Is there really anything to be done ie. better rotors etc. available. Have read many posts on forum and searched on internet.
Did the folks downtown really make that bad a front end and brakes that I must change or turn rotors every 5k or so? No I do not drive heavy on the brake. Drive like egg under foot. Front end parts check out ok. Been driving 40 years never had problems with brakes like this.
GM Rotor are Garbage.

Not even worth turning once. But when they are turned, they tend to warp quicker.

MOST brands even off the shelf at Napa or Autozone, their top brands always worked well for me. If you want to get fancy there are companies selling cross drilled, slotted, zinc plated rotors that seem to do very good. Also seen some that have been Cryo treated.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM

I had my dealer look at my brake shudder problem. They resurfaced the rotors and it stopped for about 6 months. Went back when it started again and talked to another service rep. He resurfaced the rotors, installed new pads and installed new backing plates that flow more air. (The brakes got worse as they got hotter) Brakes have been good since. If they get sloppy again I am changing to Napa rotors and pads.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM

I would not turn any front wheel drive rotor. They are all too thin to turn. As vehicles get lighter for better fuel economy weight gets shaved off every where. It not just GM it is everyone.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM

My '06 needs new rotors but I'm waiting for the pads to wear down a little more before I buy them. I think I'm going to go with R1 Concepts. Mine were last turned at the dealer a few months before I bought it, about 17k miles ago.