Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

rear thuds every bump

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM

rear thuds every bump

This has been going on now since I got the car randomly but it has started to get constant. Any bump I hit the rear drivers side suspension sounds like it is bottoming out, it just thuds very loudly. I just broke 20k on the car so there is no reason the suspension parts should be failing already on the car but that is the only thought I have. I hate to call the dealership again as I swear my car is in there every other week. (I still havn't called about RR tire sensor dying last week).

Is there anything else it can be? And if it is suspenssion would this be a warentee item, or would they put it under wear and tear?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
Is there anything else it can be? And if it is suspenssion would this be a warentee item, or would they put it under wear and tear?
This would be warranty unless it is physical damage such as something bent.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM

With the engine COLD. Grab the tail pipe and move it up and down and side to side and see if you hear the "clunk" it could be something in the exhaust system is misaligned or you lost a hangar.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 AM

.......and make sure the spare is tight..........
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
.......and make sure the spare is tight..........
I already checked that.

I hope it is not the exhaust because I just had a full new one put on at the dealership 2 months ago, so if it is then arg.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm getting some noise from the rear pass side since I put on Pedders springs.
I'm in the process of chasing down some noise from the front end, then I'll get after the noise in the rear. I just bought a Steadman electronic chassis ears[6 hookups] to locate noises, and it seems to be working. Pretty much narrowed the front down to sway bar bushings, and My first guess on the rear would be the spring isoliators[bushings] that fit into the springs.
First check everything in the rear, to make sure nothing is loose or hitting , rubbing, then see if the spring bumper has enough clearance when car is on the ground, and not hitting lower spring perch. Could be weak spring. "Moon"
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 PM

This has been going on now since I got the car randomly but it has started to get constant. Any bump I hit the rear drivers side suspension sounds like it is bottoming out, it just thuds very loudly. I just broke 20k on the car so there is no reason the suspension parts should be failing already on the car but that is the only thought I have. I hate to call the dealership again as I swear my car is in there every other week. (I still havn't called about RR tire sensor dying last week).

I have the same problem with 18K on my SS. I carry a lot of loads in the back, so would rather get some decent shocks instead of crappy OEM replacements. Newbie question: What should I get for stock height; do I need to replace the springs, too; and can a backyard yahoo with jackstands and a wrench do it?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 AM

I already checked that.

I hope it is not the exhaust because I just had a full new one put on at the dealership 2 months ago, so if it is then arg.
Stock exhaust was the replacement?

Check for clearance between the pipe and the pedestal/bottom plate the rear spring sits on. You can do this from sitting in front of the tire... stick your left hand around the front of the tire and feel between the pipe at the bottom of the spring bottom. Mine is just enough to get my hand between them and when the suspension moves up, it clunks.

of course, mine is on a 3" magnaflow aftermarket exhaust but I'm thinking maybe it is even the case on yours, because any exhaust installed after the factory is going to be a 2 piece (factory is a 1 piece system).

Oh and... make sure the pipe is cold before you go touching it...
Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 PM

I tried to move the exhaust and it was firm.

Yes stock dealer replacement for it, when my turbo died it got so hot it basically burnt all the chrome on the tip so GM replaced it for me.

haha and yes I know cold pipe, i've burnt myself enough to know better now.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't fool with it....since it's still under warranty. Take it to the dealer.

However, if no warranty, then.....

Find a way to get under the car SAFELY (like a lift or on stands). If the "thunk" is as loud and consistant as you indicate, there should be some kind of wear indicator for a loose part (I'm thinking possible a loose shock or as someone else suggested an exhaust hanger, etc.). In any event, lifting the vehicle and providing a clear view would allow a very thorough check of the rear driver area. You should see something.

Quick Reply: rear thuds every bump