Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Squealing, rattling, and annoying

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM

Squealing, rattling, and annoying

I've read enough of the threads in this section to be thoroughly confused lol

Have an interesting thing going on. My front suspension squeals when I turn left. Seems inconsistent as to how hard the turning needs to be to cause this. Volume and intensity of squeal varies with speed.

Also, at low speeds (up to 25 MPH) there seems to be a rattling coming from the same location. It can be felt through the steering wheel, and does seem to be influenced by the wheel being turned.

I was advised by the service shop that the sway bar was rubbing the wheel. I've been unable to do anything about this until recently, now I am looking at replacing the sway bar with an upgrade.

I'm thinking that both issues could be related.. I'm also thinking that the sway bar would have had to bend a horrible amount to rub anything rotating..

Tech pubs relating to these symptoms don't seem to be very helpful or illuminating.

Any concepts suggestions or advice are welcome and being solicited
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

If the swaybar was rubbing, you would be able to see it on the inside of the tire and the bar itself.
Almost sounds as if you may have a bad steering column. I've seen other posts of folks having to replace them. Usually because of rattling in the column but squealing could just be the start of a problem.
I'd check out both of these and see which it is.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If the swaybar was rubbing, you would be able to see it on the inside of the tire and the bar itself.
Almost sounds as if you may have a bad steering column. I've seen other posts of folks having to replace them. Usually because of rattling in the column but squealing could just be the start of a problem.
I'd check out both of these and see which it is.
According to what I've been told by the tech's (yeah, I know poop on me not investigating myself.. I'm an electrician!) its rubbing metal to metal. And that's how it sounds, anyway. If anything it would be rubbing the rotor? its intermittent anyway, so its not constantly doing so.

The column has been replaced twice so far for the infamous popping. Which is still there. THAT is another ball of earwax.. seems to be temperature dependent. the longer the cabin is kept warm the less the popping. There is still some other little items going on that I cannot describe well which might be the I-Shaft.. however the main problem would seem to be the interface between the electric assist and the shaft.

Good call though! Unfortunately I've been over these items a few times already. I may get froggy later and jack the car up on some stands (no access to a lift here) and take a peek.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 AM

My 2010 makes loud underside sounds in brisk and very cold weather if road is even the slightest bit uneven or bumpy. Modest bumps and speed bumps are worse. Sounds -- clunky, rattles, metal rubbing, and as if many sections are doing it at different rates. So a sort of symphony. Feels -- like the car is coming undone. Sounds & feels like being in an old train. Initially, thought it was ice, but it never happened on previous cars except rare occasions when dislodging icicles & snow clumps, but not as loud or as much area underneath. Lasts entire trip unless temperature gets nice. Is this suspension or steering column? Apparently many members have been hearing and feeling underside noises - esp. in colder and cold weather and/or on uneven roads and bumps. Some have needed steering columns and/or swaybar bushngs and/or struts replaced.

In particular, these threads may be of interest and helpful (sorry, cannot past at the moment) --
1) Front Page News (top of main forum page), then pg. 1 for GM Sues Steering Column Manufacturer
2) Noises in Suspension (in this topic forum)

A few months ago, I had car in for front end load noise (intermittent, then consistent). Can hear it best on a quiet street. Cause: Too much clearnce between hub and cv shaft (service bulletin #09-04-95-001). Replaced: Wheel Drive Shaft Washer (both sides). But .... it has started again - intermittedly, of course. Took it back, but dealer could not duplicate - of course. Then after leaving, I heard it twice and many times since. Of course.

No noise peace. Suggestions, similar experiences appreciated before I head back to address the underside noise (and load noise again).

Last edited by manualtrans2.4; 03-18-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

Yeah, I have been chasing a front end noise, for quite awhile now[since new]. I've replaced end links, sway bar bushings twice, and now have Pedders coilovers, after replacing Pedders springs. I've crawled under SS many times pulling, tugging, ect, on everthing I could get my hands on, Shimmed up panels, ect, ect.
Same deal thumping over small bumps, low speed, at any temp under 65 degrees, louder when colder yet. Anything over around 70 degrees, noise goes away.
I've used a electronic ear on all suspension parts, including steering, and I think the noise is something, not suspension, or steering related. Driving me nuts. Hopefully sooner or later I'll find it. "Moon"
Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Front end noise....STOPPED!

As I read all of the noise issues here and there I can relate to most all of them and understand how upset it make all of us to have such a wonderful little car, but has some "issues". Last Friday I broke down and just replaced all of the front end links and mounting bushings for the front sway bar just hoping it woul clear up most of the issues.
Well I'm here to say that yes, it did clear all of them up and it does truely drive and handle like it did when it was new back in late 2007. Handles much better as well, but the TT rear sway bar really did make a big difference. I don't drive the car much anymore because it is now the wifes daily beater and holds up very well even under her hard drivig....

Just wanted you to know that I was pleasantly surprised how much difference it made in the car and the "noise", and most of all the wife is happy....
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM

My experience has been with 2009 models and after replacing the front struts and sway bar busings, this takes the rattling and noise from the front end. I use these cars in our business and most have had this done around 75 to 90 thousand miles. I use the lifetime replacements and have not had the problem again. These are great little cars I buy them for $10,000 to 12,000 and sell them for $5,000.00. I'm sorry that they quit making them.
Jim W