Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Suspension Squeak In Cold Weather Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Suspension Squeak In Cold Weather Fix?

I have been looking around the site and it seems like everyone has a loud squeaking/clang noise in the front end on cold weather days going over bumps and dips. However, it doesn't look like anyone has a straight answer/fix on this. Is this a problem that has no real fix and something you just have to live with? I looked at a cobalt SS forum and it looks like some are having the same problem. Let me know what you guys think because I am worried about the overall health of my SS.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

The fix is that u gotta get use to it lol
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM

pretty sure there is a foam silencer at the top of the strut tower. when its cold it gets hard maybe absorbs moisture. i am sure if there was a replacement made with a different material, say rubber. problem solved.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Turn up the tunes!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 PM

I think cannuck has hit the nail on the head. My HHR SS exhibits a very similar sound to foam being hit or compressed. It happens over fairly major road irregularities (not small potholes) when the temperature is approx. minus 2C or below. On my next dealer visit (they have tried unsuccessfully twice to find and fix problem) I'll mention the "foam silencer at the top of the strut tower".

I find the noise annoying and quite loud (pedestrians have looked to see where the noise is coming from).
Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 AM

You should get it diagnosed at the dealer, but for most people it has been the front swaybar bushings.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM

Well I just got back from the dealer and they believe it is the sway bar bushings. I have to wait until Tuesday for the bushings to come in. Hopefully I only have to live with the noise for a few more days. Kind of frustrating that a 7 month old car needs front end parts already. Hopefully it gets fixed because its a very uneasy noise.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Get used to it, happens every year when it gets really cold.
Once the warranty is over, get aftermarket ones.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM

I was just thinking that if this is going to happen every year. Any suggestions on aftermarket bushings to look into?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM
ecl

Had mine in 4 or 5 times to get this fixed and its still not fixed the local dealer gave up and wont touch it now that its out of warranty unless of course I want to pay to have them fix it. Seeing as they cant seem to fix yet Ill live with it for now, since the cold weather is almost done. I would also like to know what kind of after market bushings to look at, maybe I'll just get it done my self this summer and then see what happens next winter.

was just looking around and on the other HHR forum theres a guy running these http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.5161 think I will be getting a set of these in just a while. Here is the link to that thread as well incase any one was wondering.

Quick Reply: Suspension Squeak In Cold Weather Fix?