Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Suspension work

I'm rolling on a 2007 HHR LT2 2.4l with about 106,000 miles on the clock. I've been looking and reading on the forum and all around and wanted peoples opinions on quality and durability in regards to branding on components. KYB/Monroe/GM etc. What would you personally recommend and why? We live in central OH with the winding and twisting roads so I'm looking for something that will stick and hold well. I'm going to replace the struts, shocks, end links, and sway bar bushings as well as adding the rear sway bar.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Technical Moderator

Favorite brands are like belly buttons; everyones got one!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Asking a question like that is just going to get you a number of varying opinions and suggestions - and they have all been discussed at great length here already, with no consensus on what is "best". It's much like asking what is the best tire one should buy - one person will swear by Goodyear, another with Michelin etc. - another will never use Bridgestone again, yet someone else will swear by Bridgestones.

My best suggestion is to use the search tool at the top of the page and start checking some of the previous threads, looking for things like KYB/KONI/Monroe Quickstruts, sway bar and it's bushings etc.. See how much they cost, and factor that into the equation when you decide what works best for you.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 AM

And my suggestion is if the control arm bushings are still original you consider doing them too, or at least give them a thorough look while the suspension is apart.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Not an endorsement just facts, I installed KYB struts and shocks, Energy Suspension sway bar bushings , Moog sway bar end links , Canuck Motorsports lowering springs , Moog bolt on ball joints and GM lower control arm bushings, also a Turbo Tech Racing rear sway bar.
That was back in 2011, I've since replaced the LCA bushings and the front strut upper bearing plates, over a period of 220,000 kilometres not bad, I'm still pleased with my choices
The LCA bushings deteriorated, this is them on the right, the new part is Moog K200792 problem solver
Attached Thumbnails Suspension work-image.jpeg  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Yeah they do make upgraded parts now that will last longer than oem.The spherical type control arm bushings and delrin or poly sleeve bushings last much longer.
The original parts are soft rubber that can deteriorate in a couple years.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:02 PM

Yea, I saw Oldblue's post last night with the pic above. I did about 6 hours reading while waiting on my wife at work. Long story short she broke both bones in her lower leg last June. Clean break on the smaller and blew the end of the larger into 7 pieces. She isn't comfortable driving with numb foot even now so I had time to kill and did a heap of reading. I know one control arm was completely replaced about two years ago. The other was not. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable banging out the control arm bits. My tire mech may do it if something is amiss though.

I know enough after reading last night I'll go with a quick strut for sure. I'm looking for the best prices with shipping now and where to get the most of the stuff from the same seller. I'll put it all in once the weather warms a bit more though and before we put the 17"'s back on after the snow lets up. I have cupping that seems to be suspension related and something below like's to sing the 'thong' song when I turn the wheels.

Not to let a good chance go to pot the bloody thing decided the other day to toss an engine code and the traction control lights came on a few hours later. Today I noticed when I shift it into gear from park there is a very noticeable thump as it gets into gear. I know around this mileage it should get the tranny flushed so hopefully that is it. You would think this car thought I won the lottery last week. I still love the hell out of it though.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 PM

I replaced pretty much everything on the front end of my HHR. Most of the stuff really did not look to be worn that badly and I still had noise. Finally I replaced the bushings in the lower control arm, even though they did not look to be worn very much, and the noise went away.

I am convinced that most of the stuff really did not need to be replaced and that if I had started with those bushings I would have saved a lot of money.

I went with the Moog problem solver bushings on both cars.

I pretty much did the same on my PT Cruiser GT convertible. Again the last thing I replaced was the bushings in the lower control arm to finally get the noise to stop.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Technical Moderator

cupping indicates either bearing or control arm.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Mostly LCA bushings

Quick Reply: Suspension work