Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

thinking of putting a motor in the truck to tow is that to much weight?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM

thinking of putting a motor in the truck to tow is that to much weight?

i need to pick up a motor formy vw and i was planning on putting it in the back of my 07 hhr. is that to much weight for the car? will it blow out the rear end?please help because i was supposed to get the motor tomorrow its a hour and a half drive each way.the motor is a vr6 engine and tranny thanks guys
Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM

i should say whats the loading capacity on a 07 hhr
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM

LOL......I stuffed a big block (assembled with heads) in the back of my SS one time when I had an engine to deliver to a customer and didn't have the delivery truck. BARELY squeezed in and we had to build a quick low-profile cradle to hold it. Sagged a bit but made it fine. The SS has also delivered several 4G63's, G54b's, and a couple of 2JZ's. Go for it:)
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Founding Member

The yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb tells you the weight limits. I would think around a 1000 lbs
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM

I would just be careful not to colaspe the plastic floor in the back that covers the spare tire.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Yep....good point. We always had a wood cradle of some sort to distribute weight. A small sheet of 3/8" ply would probably be warranted if you're carrying it without a specifically made cradle. My biggest concern when carrying the larger/taller engines was a tip-over busting out a window. Never trusted the little cargo tie-off points.

While I don't condone carrying things like big blocks in the back of an HHR.......when you own a shop and have a deadline to meet.....sometimes you have to improvise. Maybe I can dig up a pic of the 454 in the back....I KNOW I took one
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 AM

The plywood idea sounds like a winner.
I retrieved 470 lbs of records and the very back of the rear bumper sagged less than 1.5 inches.
I'm sure it could handle hundreds more.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 AM
geg

maximum load = 401 kg = 880 lbs.
Put the flat rear seat backs. Get a big loading platform.
Lap resulting space thick plywood. But it would be better to use a wooden pallet.

Wooden pallet does not bend under the influence of body weight. Heavy object can be easily mounted to a wooden pallet by the ropes. Wooden pallets can be found in the courtyard of a grocery store - pallets used for transporting packages and then discarded.
There should be no load close to the rear bumper. Place the load close to the front seats in the geometric center of the car.
Fix necessarily your weight. When braking at 40 km / h Bible acquires the properties of 25 kg shells and broken bones. In similar conditions of 200 kg. piece of metal can turn a man to mince.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by geg

Fix necessarily your weight.
When braking at 40 km / h Bible acquires the properties of 25 kg shells and broken bones.
In similar conditions of 200 kg. piece of metal can turn a man to mince.
I had a 100+ lb LCD TV in the back when I did 130MPH in the SS.
It wasn't tied down.
I would have been a puddle of jelly with bone splinters in it if I got a blowout or something.
Everything is fine until it isn't.

Securing heavy weights is highly recommended
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Mowgli
I had a 100+ lb LCD TV in the back when I did 130MPH in the SS.
It wasn't tied down.
I would have been a puddle of jelly with bone splinters in it if I got a blowout or something.
Everything is fine until it isn't.

Securing heavy weights is highly recommended
130MPH!!!
amazed!
Was the case when I has a top speed of 204 km / h (127MPH). But it was a Toyota ED. With the right-hand drive and uninstall the limiter.
I "argued" with Infinity on a line Yekaterinburg - Tyumen. My speedometer was only the gradation of 180 km / h (in Japanese speed limited artificially). Arrow lay down and i longer no interested a speed. When the Infiniti stopped by the police, he was fined for speeding 204 km / h and we were driving on an equal footing.
I learned about it the next day. If I had real information of speedometer, then I would not have ventured into such a speed. Especially in the winter road. In the event of an accident I would have turned into jelly without the aid of tv set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thinking of putting a motor in the truck to tow is that to much weight?