Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   Touring vs Sport Ride (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/touring-vs-sport-ride-12574/)

mrvulcan 01-10-2008 12:32 PM

Touring vs Sport Ride

Has anyone did a long drive on both the LS and LT. I am getting ready to purchase a HHR and during the test drive on both I did not feel much of a difference. I plan on doing a lot of long distance drives and was wondering how the LT2 is on a long trip. The LT2 is my choice.

Snoopy 01-10-2008 12:46 PM

As to your question.....

I have a 2006 2LT and I currently have about 17,000 miles on it. Approximately 12,000 miles are from weekend, 400-900 mile trips, and one very long 8,000+ mile trip. IMO the suspension is excellent, handling the roads with increased weight (I travel with my wife, MOSTLY;) ...not her the luggage:lol: ) very well.

I have rented several HHR's while on other vacations. A few with the normal suspension. It also seems well qualified with the limited increase in weight that was used.

As some have suggested, sometimes it is difficult to "feel" the difference in the 2 different suspensions. It may be because of how well engineered the complementary components are designed for each suspension type.

My suggestion....

If you can afford it, rent one of each type and take a small vacation. The rental charges for a base HHR are not very expensive.....I paid $137/week.

ivtech 01-10-2008 03:40 PM

Isn't the LS and LT the same suspension. Only the 2LT has the sport?

Snoopy 01-10-2008 03:43 PM

Yeap !!!!

hhrcrafty 01-10-2008 05:03 PM

The only difference are the gas-charged shocks/struts on the Sport suspension. Everything else is exactly the same.

captain howdy 01-10-2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty (Post 227031)
The only difference are the gas-charged shocks/struts on the Sport suspension. Everything else is exactly the same.

Other than the rim size that is. ;) The sport suspension has 17" rims instead of 16" which also affects the ride. But I'm sure you already knew that. :lol:

Hib Halverson 01-10-2008 05:56 PM

I ordered my HHR with the sport suspension. I picked it up at a dealer north of Pittsburgh then promptly drove it 3070 miles to Los Angeles, via Detroit, St. Lous and Oklahoma City.

I did not find the ride harsh at all. In fact, on low frequency suspension movement, I thought it was underdamped. I also found the on-center steering feel to be less than I expected. Later I found that was a tire problem not a chassis problem.

mrvulcan 01-12-2008 03:33 AM

Sorry on my question. Just learning the models. I was trying to see what the difference was between the touring ride and the sport ride. I got mixed up in the models. From what everyone says there is not much difference. I do take long drives and my back in not the best, but it looks like the sport ride is comfortable also. Thanks everyone.

PhoS 01-16-2008 10:21 AM

The sport suspension is still mush by any sport standard. I wouldn't be particularly worried about any harsh ride or anything its still quite plush.

Hib Halverson 01-24-2008 07:26 PM

You need to test an SS.