Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

TTR Rear Sway Bar Installation 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
XXL

TTR Rear Sway Bar Installation 101

Ordered 9/25
Received 10/1

Today is 10/2... I had jury duty, for which I was summarily dismissed, and now I'm playing hookie from work. Thus, I decided to install the sway bar.

Following is a very technically detailed explanation of each critical step of the installation process. Read these instructions carefully before considering this installation yourself.

1) Open box and remove contents.

2) Haphazardly throw all parts under the back of car.

3) Look under car to see if it's finished installing itself. In the unlikely event that it hasn't fallen into place and bolted itself up, grab a 15mm socket and a clamp and slide under the back of the car.

4) Raise the bar into place (it's obvious even if you DON'T look at the picture provided in the TTR instructions) and run clamp across the triangle-shaped rear axle. This will trap the bar up in the air so you don't have to have 3 arms. If you don't have a clamp, you can thread a long screwdriver through the rear axle holes (the big ones). You're just trying to hold the bar up where it goes. If you have the time and resources, you can choose to grow a third arm.

5) insert backing plates into the ends of each trailing arm so the trailing arm holes line up with the backing plate nuts. If you can't figure this part out, please get out from under the car and put a For Sale sign on it.

6) Pivot the bar ends up to trailing arm and align holes with the items in #5 above. Thread nuts in place-- 2 per side, and wrench down on them with the 15mm socket until they are as tight as your wimpy arms can get them.

7) Put your tools away and go have a beer. (Oh, and recheck tightness in a couple of days.)

Time from start to finish for me was LITERALLY 7 minutes. That was from cracking open the box to coming inside to type this post. I have ramps, which I backed onto to give me some stomach clearance. I also have an air ratchet... which shaved about 60 seconds off the effort from a manual ratchet (so give yourself 8 minutes if you're doing it the old fashioned way) .

If you have an HHR SS and haven't bought this mod, you may need to have your testosterone checked. The bar is cheap, fast shipping, a supremely easy install, and really tightens up the body roll in the corners.

This is not a paid endorsement... but Aaron, feel free to send me a check if you want ;-)
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM

zip ties are very effective for holding the bar in place as well.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Great information! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 PM

2 cool.

I'm gettin' a red one!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM

How much and where?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by sincfiles
2 cool.

I'm gettin' a red one!
I have a Red one for sale.........Never installed selling the car
Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by damronjr
How much and where?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supporting-vendors-25/turbo-tech-racing-releases-rear-sway-bar-14697/
Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by damronjr
How much and where?
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Your choice of MANY colors :)
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM

This is one of the mods I'd really like to get when I have a little extra $$$.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM

'If you don't have a clamp, you can thread a long screwdriver through the rear axle holes (the big ones). You're just trying to hold the bar up where it goes. If you have the time and resources, you can choose to grow a third arm."

The third arm is mighty handy though. Damn that's funny man.

True on the bang for the buck - makes the car handle less like a FWD. Love mine. I've installed at least 5 that I can remember.

Quick Reply: TTR Rear Sway Bar Installation 101