Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Wheel Studs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Wheel Studs

I broke one of my wheel studs on my 2009 HHR SS and was wondering if anybody know how to change wheel studs?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Did one on an Impala 5-6 yrs ago. I removed the caliper and rotor then used a socket which was larger in dia than the base of the the broken stud so it would clear, then used a big C clamp to push it out with an occasional rap with a hammer.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Shouldn't this be under warranty? I hate when people say that!

Or, did you do a BAD?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Shouldn't this be under warranty? I hate when people say that!

Or, did you do a BAD?
The dealer I went to said that wheel studs are not under warranty. The studs are only like $6 but labor is like $166!!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 PM

you can safely get by with four. so wait until you put brakes on and change it out then. $166 is about three time what it should cost.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
you can safely get by with four. so wait until you put brakes on and change it out then. $166 is about three time what it should cost.
Agreed, I ran a Ranger for years with only 4 out of five. Plan was to take care of it when I did the brakes. I knew about the problem and I kept an eye on it. Plus on that vehicle if another lug was to come off the hub cap would have left the vehicle long before giving me a warning.

EDIT I've reconsidered my comment about running with only 4 lugs. If the vehicle brakes are under warranty then the fact that only 4 are present, it seems to me the dealer could use that as a way to decline a claim for warped rotors. Something people have reported having problems with. I never had any problems with the brakes on the Ranger.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Yes 4 bolts can cause warping from uneven torquing of the hub/rotor...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 AM

I agree, improperly torqued wheels can add to warping of rotors. Maybe not the cause but an added factor. Heat is the number one cause. Also, one could say that missing a lug the vehicle's carrying capacity is lessened. Also true but not usally a factor. Having ALL the lug nuts is the ideal scenario. Having not to spent $166 is probably a better state of affairs.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by traketo
The dealer I went to said that wheel studs are not under warranty. The studs are only like $6 but labor is like $166!!
I have a hard time believing that the studs are not under warranty, and yes you CAN run on 4, but there is a reason that one broke, and only having 4 puts undue stress on the remaining studs as well as potential for warping rotors as others have mentioned. I would contact another dealer, or at least ask to speak to the service manager and then general manager if the service manager is not willing to do something.
A SS is a high performance car with features like launch control, so unless you were off-roading or something like that, a broken stud is a valid warranty issue.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Just replace the stud. Tap it out and take it to Advance or the Zone and match it up. Not sure ir they will have them listed yet or not. So a stud in hand may be helpful. They are not hard to change. You can use a open ended lug nut to reseat the new stud.

$166 is crazy for the amount of work it actually is. New stud and open ended lug nut may set you back $5..... Probably about $3.

Quick Reply: Wheel Studs