Canadian North East Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia

-26° Celcius

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM

BTW it was actually -31°C this morning. Brrr.. lol
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM

I was certain my battery was good too... only it wasn't. I only tried a new battery to prove that wasn't the problem. I'm still not convinced there isn't something else wrong, why would a battery fail after just one year of daily service?

As for the Optima I'm surprised to hear anything negative but not an issue for at least until the three years of NAPA free replacement expire.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM

@redbeard..... do you have any add ons in your car, such as a GPS...... those things can kill a battery.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM

With a 5 yo battery and not finding the cord for the engine heater yet...... I have not had any issues starting my HHR either over-night or after letting it set for 2 weeks at a time. And this HHR sees a lot of -15 to -35F temps up nort ere...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM

IDK... my bud had his optima in his truck for 10 years before it needed to be replaced.

My neighbors Sears Die Hard Platinum died after only 18months.

Bottom line, buy one with a decent warranty. Further, be sure you have a local place to warranty it, otherwise warranty via the mail is almost pointless.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 PM

Cold Start Problem Details

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
@redbeard..... do you have any add ons in your car, such as a GPS...... those things can kill a battery.
The GPS is off but the radar detector stays on over night, every night. This isn't a significant drain over the ten or so hours the car gets parked every night. The car is driven 30k a year with plenty of time each day to fully charge the battery. Also the same GPS and radar detector (along with XM) spent years in my Chevy truck without killing the battery, 260k miles worth. Funny I bought the HHR to replace that old truck, and it started right up to perform jump duty after sitting a year and not being started in two weeks.

The problem has some interesting features.

So far the common threads are.
1. Very Very cold temperature.
2. Remote start fails with clicking and flashing lights.
3. Good brand batteries only last a year or two.
4. Jump starting attempt after the remote start failure doesn't work.
5. Doesn't happen every time (starts at -19f one day, fails the next at -11f)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM

turned out i drained the battery by trying to start it too many times... now i have a new problem & i can't see how it can be related : i have no power steering :S
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by stephofthedead
turned out i drained the battery by trying to start it too many times... now i have a new problem & i can't see how it can be related : i have no power steering :S
Fuse blew during the jump start.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Fuse blew during the jump start.
Yeah, I just feel stupid after reeding this https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/fuse-blows-when-jumpstarting-660/ lol
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM
geg

It seems I'm starting to understand. energy stored in the battery is not enough for the rotation of the crankshaft?
If the starting problem - the battery problem, then everything is simplified.
The battery is in need of attention during the cold season. The battery can not stand the cold and may die. If the battery has released all the energy - the battery will die after a few hours in the cold. If you try to charge a dead battery - the battery will take a very small amount of energy, but indicates "fully charged". You calm down, but the energy quickly gone and the problem will intensify. Your car will not start again.
Ruthlessly replace the battery. Make a full charge. Parked the car at night - unplug all the lights (headlights, parking lights, lighting cabin). Not sure of the voracious of GPS. But if experienced guys think of his voracious - follow their advice.
There are batteries that are adapted to cold weather. Unfortunately, I do not know American brands. I think the dealers are well aware - ask them questions.