Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Auto Transmission fluid issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Auto Transmission fluid issues

This site has been a great source of information since I purchased a 2010 half panel about 3 weeks ago with 67500 miles on it. I have been going all the systems flushing and changing all the fluids and taking care of a few issues I have ran across.
Today I changed the transmission fluid and filter and gasket and am having issues with the proper fill amount. I know from the forums it should take between 6-3/4 - 7 quarts for a refill for this procedure. After getting the filter installed and pan install and properly torqued I put 7 quarts of Decron lV fluid in. I started the engine shifted thru all the gears while the coolant temp was coming up. After getting the coolant temp to 186 degrees I raised the car up on the lift and removed the check plug on the passenger side above the the pan. No fluid came out when the plug was removed so I lowered the car and started adding 4 oz's at a time until it started running out of the check hole. I ended up putting 7qts 28oz's before fluid started running out. So I let the excess fluid flow out for a minute and when It slowed somewhat I reinstalled the plug.
My best guess is it took about 5 minutes for the transmission to warm up after the engine was up to operating temp. After measuring the fluid that came back out from what I put in the transmission it now has 7 quarts 6 ozs in it to replace what I drained in the filter change.
My question is should I warm the transmission back up and drain any excess fluid out until it is barely comes out of the check hole or just leave the extra 14 oz's I put in it over the 6-3/4 quarts its supposed to take to make this change. I have another issue with my radiator fan but will place another post in the engine section of the forum for that.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:19 PM
JCC

I had the same problem BUT I had to put in right at 8 qts. before it started coming out. Be sure you have the engine running before you take out the plug. The correct way to do this is first check the level and see if any fluid will come out. If not, see if you can tell how low it is by just putting something soft just inside the plug hole (maybe a toothpick) as a dip stick to check the level. Then drain all the fluid into a pan, then measure what came out and put that much back in and check it. Most readings/information say that with the engine running at regular temperature, put in small amount (talking about the last qt. to fill) until it starts running out. Let it run out until a slow drip or so and replace the plug. Then after driving a day or two re-check it. Others may have input but this is about the ball park to get it done.

As they say... warm it up... with the engine running and the car level, pull the plug out... if a small amount drips out, replace the plug... now how far can you be off ???? I know, we all just want to be right (or stated another way NOT SORRY!)... so re-check it in a few days... a few weeks... then a few months.
WHAT YOU GOT TO LOSE ? Regards, JC
Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 AM

I have been servicing and repairing cars and heavy equipment for over 45 years so I am well aware of all the stick and check procedures you mentioned and how a normal refill should go. I have done probably 25 trans filter changes in my time. But this is my first "serviced for life"unit. LOL I guess Ill just let the car warm back up and what ever wants to drain back out of the over flow hole is and call it good. Thanks for the input
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Administrator

I warmed the engine.
Drove around the block 3 or 4 times to let the filter absorb the fluid and fill any empty spots the fluid should be .
Re-checked the fill plug , filled till a slight drip with the engine running and in park.

Replaced the fluid level plug.
Total of 6 3/4 quarts.

Rechecked level next oil change or about 6,000 miles
Still full.
That was back awhile ago at 125,000 miles
Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Thanks Old Blue just the information I was looking for. Wish I was close enough to to buy you a beer or two !
Old 01-19-2016, 02:49 PM

So, you are supposed to have the engine running when you check that plug?
Old 01-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Technical Moderator

YES, or all of the fluid will run out the control hole.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM

I would like to add that when I refilled the transmission to specs, and it ran for a couple of minutes the fluid started running out of the over flow hole without adding any additional fluid except what was called for to do the filter change. I was a little surprised by this but it may have been due to the pump loosing its prime during the filter change. Has anyone else experienced this ?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Well I suppose mine primed itself while I drive it around the block, but it could be possible!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Automatic Trans fluid issues

Name:  01-28-05_1410.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  31.5 KB

Here's one of the 12 Test Stands that were in Windsor for the 4T40E. It filled the dry trans, tested it, then sent it off to Button-Up to be sealed, topped up and racked.
Different models went to Lordstown OH for the Cobalts, & G5's... Lansing MI for Aleros and Malibus or Ramos Arizipe MX for HHR).
They were "fully" automated, with 3 computers in each.
Sorry I didn't have a picture of the Button-Up filling station.

Clare