Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Clutch Life Expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Technical Moderator

I didn't attack anyone. I read "I know what fluid I can run but I was just curious which fluids work best for this transmission". You don't have an SS, a Corvette or a limited slip transaxle. The SS does use a special 75W85 gear oil.

The original ATF in the transaxle shouldn't ever need replacing, not even under severe service. Change it if you want to spend money, it is not necessary.

That being said, Most people have never replaced the oil in their manual transmission. So, there is not much experience to lean on.

Knowing what fluids you CAN use is a lot different than knowing what fluids you SHOULD use, thus the Owner Manual suggestion. You can use water if you want to. If you have a bear sitting next to you to shift the gears you can use 180 Weight hypoid gear oil, you would also lose a few MPG, might blow a seal. You should use DEXRON VI, which is a synthetic oil specification with a extra long life.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I didn't attack anyone. I read "I know what fluid I can run but I was just curious which fluids work best for this transmission". You don't have an SS, a Corvette or a limited slip transaxle. The SS does use a special 75W85 gear oil.

The original ATF in the transaxle shouldn't ever need replacing, not even under severe service. Change it if you want to spend money, it is not necessary.

That being said, Most people have never replaced the oil in their manual transmission. So, there is not much experience to lean on.

Knowing what fluids you CAN use is a lot different than knowing what fluids you SHOULD use, thus the Owner Manual suggestion. You can use water if you want to. If you have a bear sitting next to you to shift the gears you can use 180 Weight hypoid gear oil, you would also lose a few MPG, might blow a seal. You should use DEXRON VI, which is a synthetic oil specification with a extra long life.
I think this is the real problem. If more people had tried different fluids, they may find one to perform better than the other. I suppose I will be the guinea pig. As far as the spending of money goes... If there were a degree for it burning a hole in your pocket and wasting it on dumb things, I would have a doctorate. The real problem is that I have too much free time.

I run Royal Purple synchromesh in my Vette with the 6060. Night and day difference over the factory Dexron.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Technical Moderator

That's odd from my cursory reading on the tr6060 most people have a better experience with Dexron than synchromesh. They say smoother shifting when cold and hot (they say night and day) guess it depends on which ox you own.

I don't have an ox, not a race car driver.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:38 PM

That's odd from my cursory reading on the tr6060 most people have a better experience with Dexron than synchromesh. They say smoother shifting when cold and hot (they say night and day) guess it depends on which ox you own.

I don't have an ox, not a race car driver.
Nah, I've been through many fluids in the 6060 and 56 on many platforms. In a daily driver the Dexron is fine but when no lift shifting at 7200rpm, the synchromesh is all that will do. It's the fluid that RPM transmissions suggests in all of their high end builds.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Wasn't the original question about a HHR LS with the F23 gearbox ?
Not seeing any need for changing out the factory recommended fluid. I mean it is just a basic 5 speed. It's not a performance tranny.

Not trying to offend. Just my observation.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Wasn't the original question about a HHR LS with the F23 gearbox ?
Not seeing any need for changing out the factory recommended fluid. I mean it is just a basic 5 speed. It's not a performance tranny.

Not trying to offend. Just my observation.
Yes, it is. I only used the other gearbox as an example where the Dexron was used yet a synthetic gear oil works better. No offense taken. I am aware of the transmission's use and have no intention to use it otherwise. It has just been my experience in the past that some manual transmissions perform better with alternative fluids. Nothing more.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Technical Moderator

Dexron VI is synthetic.

Define "performance". What criteria?
Old 05-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Whether it needs it or not I am going to swap the fluid. The true original point of this thread was to see if others had used another fluid besides the Dexron and to hear the snake oil stories of which worked the best. I didn't anticipate having a bunch of guys who don't even own the trans tell me what I should or shouldn't fill it with.

In my past I have simply left a thread alone when I don't have useful input that the user is requesting.

Why swap it at all you ask? I have done this religiously on most of the vehicles I've owned. GM has notoriously underfilled gearboxes, diffs, etc. Some were as much as a quart low with only a 1.8 qt requirement. I am not the sort of cat to just top things off.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Dexron VI is synthetic.

Define "performance". What criteria?
Performance as in the smoothness of the transitions between the gear selections.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 AM

I have a 2006 HHR 1LT with the 2.4L and 5-speed. I bought it new.

At 168K miles, I had to pull the engine to fix a broken timing chain guide bolt.

Since I had everything apart, I decided to replace the clutch. Based on the amount of friction material left on the old clutch, I would estimate I could have gone about 225K miles before it was worn out completely.

Steve

Quick Reply: Clutch Life Expectancy