Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

I hit a deer, now im getting no crank from the starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 06:11 PM

I hit a deer, now im getting no crank from the starter

(Do not mind my horrible punctuation)
So basically it seems as if im not getting any power to the starter i thought it was due to the power wire getting hit by the fan when it broke so i changed it out and still have nothing. I checked all relays and they were all good so im wondering if theres some kind of safety thing happening here? Like i hit the deer it bent some **** in and the cars like "yeah we aint doin that you just crashed" there is a sensor on the engine side of the core support (which got bent in a smidge) so maybe it has something to do with that sensor? Has this happened to anyone? Ill post pictures if requested, the damage isnt enough to be considered totalled things that need replaced are core support radiator fan radiator and ac condensor thank you in advance.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:50 PM

Did airbags deploy? If so, you will need to replace that sensor, the SDM, the front seatbelts and the bags, maybe some other things
. That is $2,000 - $5000, depending on how much you do yourself.
The wire from the front outside of the fuse box to the starter is always hot. It connects directly to the battery. The other wire activates the solenoid.
Make sure the bolts inside the fuse box are very tight; loosen them then crank them down past the point you think is really tight.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:56 PM

Airbags did not deploy fairly minimal damage and ill be doing all the work myself so cost will only be price of parts thank you for the information though ill double check all that stuff
Old 12-17-2022, 09:31 PM

You should throw a scan tool on it. Just because the bags didn't deploy don't mean it's not shut down.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:59 AM

Ill definitely throw a scan on it and get back to you on that, i believe that have a shutoff fuse or something located off the ground? Its a 50 amp i checked and it was fine. Thats where my online reading led me at least
Old 12-18-2022, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

What year, model and engine ?
5 speed or auto transmission ?
Old 12-18-2022, 08:49 AM

The maxi-fuse next to the battery powers the BCM, it is not a "shutoff" device. The common source is the fuse box getting separated; it is in 2 pieces basically a plug and receptacle. As I said earlier, the large red wire on the front outside the fuse box comes from the battery and goes to the starter, it is always HOT. The BCM controls the starter relay (#34 under hood, purple wire). The BCM is told to energize the relay via GMLAN, the Park/Neutral switch on an automatic or the clutch switch on a 5 speed can disable it.

Here is a pdf of the starter circuit:
starter.pdf
Old 12-18-2022, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by FatP
(Do not mind my horrible punctuation)
Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still try to help, but it’s a little demotivating to put in effort to help for free when a post shows little effort to be clear and readable.

If you’re using voice to text, you can still insert commas and periods by just saying the words “comma” and “period.”

Also, go back and insert double returns, so that you get well separated paragraphs like this, instead of a wall of text. It makes everything much more readable, even when there are problems with spelling, punctuation, and syntax.

Don’t think it comes easy for me. It doesn’t.

No one’s expecting perfection, just a little extra effort. It will get you better answers.

Just my opinion as a frequent flyer. Thanks!

Last edited by PulpFriction; 12-18-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:18 PM
Administrator

It is plausible the starter or the solenoid or the wiring was damaged in the collision with the deer. You may have to bench test the starter!
Old 12-18-2022, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It is plausible the starter or the solenoid or the wiring was damaged in the collision with the deer. You may have to bench test the starter!
thats my next plan of action! Ive confirmed that its getting power so im assuming it must be bad, thank you!

Quick Reply: I hit a deer, now im getting no crank from the starter