Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 PM

K&N Cold Air Intake

Newby here but not in life..Former Army flyer but now playing with 2010 2LT..Recently installed K&N drop in filter for my 2LT with 7K miles watching the DIC and thought My MPG dropped around 1 MPG city driving..Decided to step up to K&N Cold Air Intake, where GM box is changed out for KN Box which is a neat package..Again it could be my imagination but seemed that my MPG dropped about 1 MPG city driving at about 21 1/2 mpg. I have read quite a few research pieces here before I decided to change into KN which I felt were excellently done by knowledgely sounding authors. As a result I have one question, maybe 2..

The pipe going from the engines throttle body to the KN Airbox has a gap and wobbly play where it enters the airbox. This allows hot air from the engine compartment to leak in to the air box seemingly defeating the cold air integrity in the air box.Possibly they failed to enclose the rubber seal there or their engineering is beyond me.I have since fabricated a rubber seal around the pipe going into the airbox. It reduces the noise of the new system and doesn't seem to have any adverse effect.Please feel free to enlighten me if I'm doing wrong..Also another quickie from my old days of flying sport aircraft it was recommended that we wrap our manifolds to prevent engine compartment heat build up thus more HP. Thus, the reason I didn't think hot air leaking into airbox was the right way to go..My ears are open..Bob
Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 AM

I too noticed a slight drop in my MPG when I initially dropped in the K&N filter. I decided to watch it and within the next week I was back up to 30-31 average on a tank full. My guess is that the computer needs some time to adjust to the filter with more air intake than stock