Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Pure Gas, No Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan
A point that more and more people are trying to make.

Using ethanol saves you absolutely nothing. Sure, it is cheaper... but you also get less energy out of it, thus less miles per gallon. So how is that supposed to be a good thing?

Besides, don't we have better things to do with our corn crop besides burn it in our cars?
Ah yes, don't even get me started on that one...... Looks like typical politics to me...
Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

A point that more and more people are trying to make.

Using ethanol saves you absolutely nothing. Sure, it is cheaper... but you also get less energy out of it, thus less miles per gallon. So how is that supposed to be a good thing?

Besides, don't we have better things to do with our corn crop besides burn it in our cars?

But Raineman, you're helping the environment (supposedly).
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Do the comparison, if 109 octane (E85) is 25% cheaper than 93 octane (high test or E0-E10) and you get <25% fewer miles per tank, then annually you are saving money vs using a fuel with less Ethanol in it.
As for why using an alternative fuel is good so that you don't use oil, we all know the answer.
Remember, you spent less money than a hybrid and get better gas mileage than a hybrid. Even throughout the life of the car.

Seth
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sethwas
Do the comparison, if 109 octane (E85) is 25% cheaper than 93 octane (high test or E0-E10) and you get <25% fewer miles per tank, then annually you are saving money vs using a fuel with less Ethanol in it.
As for why using an alternative fuel is good so that you don't use oil, we all know the answer.
Remember, you spent less money than a hybrid and get better gas mileage than a hybrid. Even throughout the life of the car.

Seth
Perhaps... but remember, the widespread use of Ethanol as a fuel makes the price of corn go up.

Corn is used as a food product. It is also used to feed cattle, pigs, and chickens. So we pay higher prices on any beef, pork, or chicken products as well. Bacon, eggs, ham, milk, cheese, butter, hamburger, steak, not to mention anything made with corn meal, corn oil, or corn syrup (think sodas).

Corn is one of the most important food products in the country, it does not make sense to use it as a motor fuel. You might save $5 filling the tank, but you are going to spend $20 more at the grocery store.

Think of it this way... the technology exists today to make vehicles that run on water. I already pay $1.50 for a 20oz bottle of water, what would I pay if people were also using it in their cars?

And as far as the "end dependence on foreign oil" slogan goes... give me a break. We have millions of barrels of untapped reserves up in Alaska, but some people are too worried about protecting some stupid reindeer to actually go get it.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM

ethanol free gas

Try gas stations near boating areas. Here in SW FL non ethanol gas is readily available - medium grade; mostly because of the proven damage ethanol causes to older fuel systems especially in boats, motorcycles and small engine applications (lawn equipment).
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Perhaps... but remember, the widespread use of Ethanol as a fuel makes the price of corn go up.

Corn is used as a food product. It is also used to feed cattle, pigs, and chickens. So we pay higher prices on any beef, pork, or chicken products as well. Bacon, eggs, ham, milk, cheese, butter, hamburger, steak, not to mention anything made with corn meal, corn oil, or corn syrup (think sodas).

Corn is one of the most important food products in the country, it does not make sense to use it as a motor fuel. You might save $5 filling the tank, but you are going to spend $20 more at the grocery store.
Proven incorrect so many times, it amazes me its still brought up.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Chardon Oil here in Northeast Ohio has NO ethanol, and seems to be the best gas around here....in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Proven incorrect so many times, it amazes me its still brought up.
Ditto.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM

I live in Wisconsin, and we have Fleet Farm Gas Stations, where the lower grade and upper grade don't contain ethanol, but the middle grade does. But I'm not sure if there's only Fleet Farms in the Midwest or if they're nationwide. I've noticed that a lot of BP's around here (but not all) will have no ethanol in the premium gas.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Lightbulb

There are a couple Mom & Pop stations here in Tenn. (TIKO) that sell straight gas.
But have so little traffic, I don't like to gas up at either of them..

But anymore isn't it all P4-Gas ?

Quick Reply: Pure Gas, No Ethanol