Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Tall tales and fish stories....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 AM

Exclamation Tall tales and fish stories....

Mike Venturino, a gun magazine writer, once wrote that you can take the morally strongest, most upright guy in the world, put a target gun or fishing pole in this hands and he'll turn into the biggest liar in the world! I can believe it. I have heard stories about being able to hit the eye of a needle at 300 yards, shooting deer regularly at 600 yards (one shot kills no less) and catching bass four feet long and four hundred pounds out of a pond 20 feet across.

It seems like the same thing is happening with HHR's. Either Chevy is making HHR Hybrids, or there are folks stretching the truth about their gas mileage. Well, maybe there are some folks that are really poor at math, but I am not counting them. Some of the claims are downright silly. It reminds me of a guy with a new Tahoe telling a friend of mine that he is getting 34 mpg IN TOWN. She says he is a really nice guy. I called "BS!" fast. Even claiming that on the highway is ridiculous in a Tahoe. I think we need to edit Mike Venturino's column to include HHR owners...... Heh, heh, heh. God Bless, Marc (20mpg town, 29mpg highway...really)
Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Maybe the Tahoe is Canadian.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
ecl

Wow can tell were this stemmed from. Those numbers I gave are not unrealistic at all. Im not saying im getting 32mpg in town every tank. Just managed to squeeze that out of one and by using some extreme measures wich I no longer use(to much of a hassle), but I am still seeing 26-28mpg in town and 30-32mpg on the freeway really. I feel if I had a manual my numbers would be even higher. As far as calculations go mileage divided by gallons = MPGs, so lets say a normal tank for me I can get almost 400 so 385 divided by say 14 gallons =27.5mpg. If my calculations are wrong by all means correct me. I have litterally had some one else check my calculations and plugged my numbers from my reciept directly into a mpg calculation on another forum im on. To say that 3 different people/programs are all wrong is a pretty big statement.

Heres my numbers, so it was actually 31.52mpg sorry my bad, 122.6 miles and 3.89 gallons of gas, which according to my calculations is 31.52mpg. Heres another one for you 547.4 miles and 17gallons(put a few gallons in at a quick stop to make sure I had enough) 95% Highway miles doing 75-80mph, resulting in 32.2mpg. So now its your turn to do my calculations and see for yourself. If im wrong I will admit it and go on if your wrong do the same.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-l...vehicleid=2960
Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM

I haven't pointed any fingers. I was reading back over the "Fuel Economy" threads and saw some that sound pretty far out to me - unless a car is a hybrid. At least, they are way higher than Elvis gets, even accounting for the heavy foot in town due to the novelty of a new car and a GMPP intake.

I bought the HHR for fun and with an eye on future high fuel prices. I don't drive around like a hybrid driver inciting "hybrid rage" from drivers behind me. Maybe some do, and can call down big mileage numbers. Doesn't sound very enjoyable though.

Look back at some of the big numbers folks claim, and don't they sound like "instant MPG" numbers rather than "average MPG" numbers? I guess Elvis would post those "average" numbers if I pointed him downhill, cleared the values in the readout, and started rolling downhill!

God Bless, Marc
Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
I haven't pointed any fingers. I was reading back over the "Fuel Economy" threads and saw some that sound pretty far out to me - unless a car is a hybrid. At least, they are way higher than Elvis gets, even accounting for the heavy foot in town due to the novelty of a new car and a GMPP intake.

I bought the HHR for fun and with an eye on future high fuel prices. I don't drive around like a hybrid driver inciting "hybrid rage" from drivers behind me. Maybe some do, and can call down big mileage numbers. Doesn't sound very enjoyable though.

Look back at some of the big numbers folks claim, and don't they sound like "instant MPG" numbers rather than "average MPG" numbers? I guess Elvis would post those "average" numbers if I pointed him downhill, cleared the values in the readout, and started rolling downhill!

God Bless, Marc
Given that I've posted one of the highest numbers on this forum, I'm sure that you're referring to my 42.5mpg statements. I'll happily take you on a highway trip, employing the driving tactics that I do. I am currently running my HHR on it's first tank of E85, and am still showing a little over 26 mpg, despite nearly doubling the amount of city driving that I normally do.

I have stated before, and I'll say it again. I earn my high mileage numbers.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 AM

I'm averaging 25 combined (mostly stop and go), avg speed 28-29.
Best highway was 31 mpg, but I was going 70-75, and running through mountain area.
Its peppy, and gives me good numbers-I'm happy.

Different driving styles make a big difference, that's why there is the little disclaimer "Your Mileage May Vary"..
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 AM

While anyone can say whatever they want. I know what I've seen and how much gas I've put in, in fact I have photos of a lot of it. The fact that you don't get the mileage others do in no way whatsoever proves that some of us don't get considerably better mileage. I have a photo showing my Fuel Range 591 miles and another a few days later showing 641 miles. That works out to more than 36 MPG and more than 40 MPG by my calculations using 16 gallons as a full fuel tank, it may hold more I don't really know, I'm sure you will say that my DIC is not accurate, I would say that I have checked it and it is the same as my calculations and there is no way it could be that far off anyway. The way you drive has a tremendous impact, and my guess is you drive considerably more aggressivly than those of who claim much better mileage, seeing as it takes around 2 minutes for me to reach 60 mph and I bet it takes you about 30 seconds or less. Even the cruise control is far more aggressive than I am. I would be more than willing to bet that if my 2007 had instant mileage in the DIC I would sometimes see it over 60 MPG and reliably see it around 35 MPG. I'd be willing to bet that in the trip I will go on in a couple of days I can probably go the entire 600 + miles I will drive in just a little more than one tank of gas. The vast majority of the Hybrids you refer to don't get anything close to the EPA mileage they are rated for either, mostly because of their drivers. Of course what I say is simply my word, you will obviously disagree. No one makes you read or believe anything. The fact that I and others claim much higher mileage than you do really means nothing to you in the end.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM

I check and reset the average calculator occasionally. This morning it was reporting 22MPG. When the car was new and fuel economy was on my mind, ao that my driving style promoted good mileage, it was 28-30MPG.

Since then, I've turned into a turbo madman and care less about mileage, and more about cutting time.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Home now after a trip of 1235.2 miles and I put in a total of 34.21 gallons of gas. That works out to 36.1 MPG, exactly what my DIC says. All that with the cruise control on about 50-60% of the time and snowpack on the roads for about 500 of those miles.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
ecl

Thats cool at least your proving that these cars can do that. How fast was your average speed, and then also for those 500 miles of snowpacked roads? Just asking to point out that speed makes a difference in mpgs.

Quick Reply: Tall tales and fish stories....