Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Tornado vs k&n

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Tornado vs k&n

The tornado fuel saver, is that a waste of money since Im already using the k&n air filter? I replace the factory air filter, no cold air intake yet still debating. Is it over kill adding the tornado with k&n?
Goal:Max mpg and performance
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM

The tornado only lightens your wallet.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Yeah, but it makes a great Christmas tree ornament.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

The tornado is one of those useless "snake oil" gadgets that have absolutly zero impact on your fuel economy. IIRC, either C&D or Motor Trend did a test with one, and it actually came apart when they tried to install it. Do you want that contraption getting injested by your engine?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Wouldn't work anyways even if it did....its made to swirl the air to aid in mixing the fuel and air mix....fuel on these motors is added at the valve so there is nothing to "mix" in the intake system....now, if you had a carb or a throttle body it might be different....but not really, still doesn't work!! Without intake machine work the air will straighten out before it sees the cylinder and any gain is defeated. Buy some stickers,, they add more HP then a tornado..and if they be chrome you get a tad more!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_zah
The tornado fuel saver, is that a waste of money since Im already using the k&n air filter? I replace the factory air filter, no cold air intake yet still debating. Is it over kill adding the tornado with k&n?
Goal:Max mpg and performance

The Tornado is a waste of money and snake oil nothing more. I work in the performance after market and in no way can recomend the Tornado.

KNN if just a filter might see a very very small gain but nothing more. Now a KNN cold air may gain more on some vehicles. I did see a gain of 1 MPG on a Sonoma 4.3. I did not expect any MPG gain but was shock to see it and it was consistant on ever tank of fuel. Note some systems may gain more or less based on how bad or good the factory system already is.

The only thing I have ever used that saw a large gain without changing a cam or gear was the Turbo upgrade for the SS. It not only gained 55 HP but I also saw a 2 MPG gain in mileage. I thought I was crazy but the GM engineer said it is true and was an unintended gain they did not expect when they did the kit.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM

More power means less throttle at the same speed....to a point.....after that you don't worry about fuel compared to trying to save the tires....
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
More power means less throttle at the same speed....to a point.....after that you don't worry about fuel compared to trying to save the tires....
Well GM feels it is the fact you get to speed faster and off throttle is what does it not less. It was noted that with the Direct Injection once you are off throttle the fuel is completely cut off and this is where the fuel savings really comes in.

So it is not less throttle as much as no throttle. Or so claimed by GM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Tornado?

I have an old coffee can I will sell you, then you can make your own.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

that splains the tranny disengagement feeling you get while coasting...thought these things rolled a bit easy for an auto.......

Quick Reply: Tornado vs k&n