General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

09 SS clarification questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 07:39 AM

09 SS clarification questions

Looking at 2009 SS 5sp, and 2009 SS Panel... decisions... have 2 - 08 Panels LT Auto & 2LT 5sp.
Started looking for SS and found the Panel within my range too.
Not much info on Panel yet, still waiting... may be sold.

I was about ready to go for the SS, but now wavering on which to focus or purchase.
Love the look of the Panels, but there are nice functional benefits for the Windowed SS too.

Question on SS Gauge setup:
Several SS examined 08-10 on photos over the last 3 weeks.
Some have the A-pillar Boost gauge, others have the Center Instrument.
Other threads indicates 5sp with performance package got the center instrument.
Looked through a few threads but not clear on "what's what" on this setup?
I thought I've seen both Auto & 5 sp with both instrument setups?
If there is no Center Instrument, what features are missing?

The O9 SS I'm interested, has the A-Pillar Gauge and 5 sp tranny; but wondering what the difference between options.
Personally, I like the A-Pillar Gauge better... I like the cubby box on my other HHR's... useful storage.
The center gauge to me uses up a useful storage for something not utilized much... but I don't know the full use of it either.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Center gauge is called the RPD. Reconfigurable Performance Display.
2009 SS it was an option. If you got the RPD then there was no pillar gauge. The one's with the pillar gauge meant no RPD.
2010 SS ALL got the RPD. Therefore there was no pillar gauge in the 2010.

Now. There have been many owners with the RPD that added the pillar gauge as an "extra". They (me included) just bought the pillar/gauge and installed it since the factory wiring plug is behind that pillar.
If you see an SS with both, then the owner added the 2nd gauge.

P.S. Has nothing to do with being a 5 speed and the Performance Pkg.
Fwiw. The pillar gauge only monitors boost and vacuum in analog.
The RPD monitors everything from boost, speed, tire pressure, G Force, battery voltage and a multitude of other things.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Center gauge is called the RPD. Reconfigurable Performance Display.
2009 SS it was an option. If you got the RPD then there was no pillar gauge. The one's with the pillar gauge meant no RPD.
2010 SS ALL got the RPD. Therefore there was no pillar gauge in the 2010.

Now. There have been many owners with the RPD that added the pillar gauge as an "extra". They (me included) just bought the pillar/gauge and installed it since the factory wiring plug is behind that pillar.
If you see an SS with both, then the owner added the 2nd gauge.
Much appreciated... thanks for the clarification.
Is the RPD basically an Info Display similar to newer car's information centers?
Does it allow modifying any performance point? The stability button "held" on the A-Pillar version provides a "launch" mod... but not sure how helpful or if that's a 1 shot deal with each press & hold of button.
On the 09, as an option did it provide additional performance options when adding the RPD?

Does the RPD lift up to allow any storage underneath?
I agree, if I get one without the A-Pillar, I'd add it... just like the looks.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by dougcjohn
Much appreciated... thanks for the clarification.
Is the RPD basically an Info Display similar to newer car's information centers?
Does it allow modifying any performance point? The stability button "held" on the A-Pillar version provides a "launch" mod... but not sure how helpful or if that's a 1 shot deal with each press & hold of button.
On the 09, as an option did it provide additional performance options when adding the RPD?

Does the RPD lift up to allow any storage underneath?
I agree, if I get one without the A-Pillar, I'd add it... just like the looks.
Doug, I had an auto '09 with the RPD and added the pillar gauge.
Then I got a manual '09 Panel with the pillar gauge and added the RPD.

Nothing is changeable from the RPD, it is just a display - but it does show an awful lot of stuff.
RPDs can be found (usually for a pretty fair chunk of change) but adding the pillar gauge is MUCH cheaper and easier.

FWIW and all else being equal, you should buy the Panel SS if you want it to be easier to sell when you are done with it.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Doug, I had an auto '09 with the RPD and added the pillar gauge.
Then I got a manual '09 Panel with the pillar gauge and added the RPD.

Nothing is changeable from the RPD, it is just a display - but it does show an awful lot of stuff.
RPDs can be found (usually for a pretty fair chunk of change) but adding the pillar gauge is MUCH cheaper and easier.

FWIW and all else being equal, you should buy the Panel SS if you want it to be easier to sell when you are done with it.
Just for my understanding... the A-pillar has Boost gauge plug-in lead in the harness with or without the RPD.
But the RDP harness / and plug is not in 2009 SS models if no RDP in original build... or is there?
If there is, and an RDP is installed, is there Firmware or configurations needed to utilize?

Casa Del Gatos, thanks for the info and the Panel SS recommendation. I was swinging that direction, but the Owner wasn't responding or emailing.
As of today, I haven't seen any email from him... my guess is he sold locally or other avenue, and has no need to communicate.
You probably noticed in the " SS Wheels - Options" thread, I purchased & towed home the 09 HHR SS 5sp.
Hey... in a year... they'll be more room... I may sell one of the other Panels... Wife is getting a little agitated with garage & "driveway clutter" (her words).
Old 11-29-2021, 04:49 PM

Looking at 2009 SS 5sp, and 2009 SS Panel... decisions... have 2 - 08 Panels LT Auto & 2LT 5sp.
Started looking for SS and found the Panel within my range too.
Not much info on Panel yet, still waiting... may be sold.

I was about ready to go for the SS, but now wavering on which to focus or purchase.
Love the look of the Panels, but there are nice functional benefits for the Windowed SS too.

Question on SS Gauge setup:
Several SS examined 08-10 on photos over the last 3 weeks.
Some have the A-pillar Boost gauge, others have the Center Instrument.
Other threads indicates 5sp with performance package got the center instrument.
Looked through a few threads but not clear on "what's what" on this setup?
I thought I've seen both Auto & 5 sp with both instrument setups?
If there is no Center Instrument, what features are missing?

The O9 SS I'm interested, has the A-Pillar Gauge and 5 sp tranny; but wondering what the difference between options.
Personally, I like the A-Pillar Gauge better... I like the cubby box on my other HHR's... useful storage.
The center gauge to me uses up a useful storage for something not utilized much... but I don't know the full use of it either.
Why not get an 09 SS panel? They only made just over 200 of them but i have seen them come up for sale.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Administrator

DougCJohn hasn’t been back since August 2020, he doesn’t indicate if he ever purchased an SS panel or not.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
DougCJohn hasn’t been back since August 2020, he doesn’t indicate if he ever purchased an SS panel or not.
Wow... August 2020... has it been that long!
Been busier than I thought...
Didn't find a clean SS Panel at the time of my search... I looked for a few months.
Had a nice black one in CA, but it was priced with a high level of pride well above value.

I did purchase a Black SS 5sp, that I provided a few pics of Pickle Wheels, LED taillights and Hahn Exhaust and GM HP Kit.
It's a great SS, but I would have perferred an SS Panel... I have 2 '08 Panels: 2LT and 1LT.

I've since added the remaining Hahn components: Non-cat down pipe, larger intercooler, all metal air pipes and the Tuner Module.
Sounds great, runs sweet.. haven't installed new intercooler or metal pipes, nor modified the Tune... hopefully a Winter Project.

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-30-2021 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Corrected Hahn spelling
Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the update, only 216 panels built in 2009 only, less attrition and accidents, like hens teeth to find now, so the price goes up!
Old 11-30-2021, 02:01 PM

Wow... August 2020... has it been that long!
Been busier than I thought...
Didn't find a clean SS Panel at the time of my search... I looked for a few months.
Had a nice black one in CA, but it was priced with a high level of pride well above value.

I did purchase a Black SS 5sp, that I provided a few pics of Pickle Wheels, LED taillights and Hass Exhaust and GM HP Kit.
It's a great SS, but I would have perferred an SS Panel... I have 2 '08 Panels: L2T and LT.

I've since added the remaining Hass components: Non-cat down pipe, larger intercooler, all metal air pipes and the Tuner Module.
Sounds great, runs sweet.. haven't installed new intercooler or metal pipes, nor modified the Tune... hopefully a Winter Project.
Hass? I can't find anything on that. Do you mean Hahn?

Quick Reply: 09 SS clarification questions