General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

About fleet/rental use HHRs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:32 AM

About fleet/rental use HHRs

Hello all. I'm the happy owner of an 09 2LT which was a fleet vehicle.

I read about and understood before my purchase the OnStar delete and lack of XM.

My intent is to replace the "plain jane" rear view with one that has homelink and is self dimming. I see lots of posts about doing this including wiring discussions and connector descriptions.

My question is this, i do not see the wiring harness at all. My headliner has the hole for it, but nothing is coming out of it. Before i tear into the car, can someone let me know who has had a fleet car is there a connector up inside the headliner, or is it completely missing?

If it's there, i'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks much!
steve
Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM

IMHO,the auto dimming mirror is a complete waste.I've wondered since day one of my ownership why GM put that thing on a car with a deep tint back glass.My 08 2LT has it and I've never noticed a difference in image brightness,day or night.The deep tint gate window cuts enough of the glare to make the fancy mirror superfluous.And I've found that at night,it's actally a bit BETTER to have headlights shining in through the gate glass.It gives some idea where the traffic is back there.Save your money.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Your correct Tony...it is "your opinion". But it sure doesn't even come close to answering any of his questions

To the OP... I'm sorry I can't help much. But if you do a search here for some owners of rentals, you may be able to locate some information from them that have done that switch. I believe a few have. And welcome to the forum.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM

i'll be on the other side of the fence

i LOVE my auto dimming mirror and don't see how someone couldn't see the difference. On the highway at night, you can see a car coming up behind you and as they get closer it gets darker (and a slight green tint). Especially since truck headlights are basically in our back window. I have even been looking at it once and could see it dim as i was staring at it.

The rear window doesn't cut enough of the light to me.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
ecl

I agree I love my auto dimming mirror I dont have to worry about the headlights blinding me its great. It really sucks when I get a different car with out, and makes me love even more. As far as answering your questions im not real sure as I dont own a fleet vehicle but in my experience with other cars the connect would be there just not hooked up, but dont qoute me on that one.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM

The HHR is my first car with an auto dimming mirror. It's the only way to go! I won't have another car without it again. You take it for granted until you drive one without it.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 PM

I just wished the side mirrors would auto dim now. To me they are worse than the rearview one, and once the rearview gets dim, it seems the side ones stand out even more
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stryker
I just wished the side mirrors would auto dim now. To me they are worse than the rearview one, and once the rearview gets dim, it seems the side ones stand out even more
agreed
Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stryker
Agreed x 2. For all our cars, the side mirrors are the first to get rotated sideways (and useless) at night due to glare.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:15 PM

I have cars with and without the auto dimming mirror. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, its ok, but as already commented, with the side mirrors blasting into your eyes, it seems dimming the rear mirror just isn't that big a deal, at least to me.

Quick Reply: About fleet/rental use HHRs