General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Air Bag question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Question Air Bag question

Now that we have replaced our totaled 2009 HHR with a new 2011 HHR i got to thinking back to accident scene and remembered both air bags deployed but ripped open spewing a green gas or powder about,and no broken glass what so ever.. i have always been under the impression that these bags stayed intact.have watched several videos and that would indicate that is the general case. can anyone else here on the forum whom has a similar experience verify that indeed their airbags opened up destroyed themselves after doing their job. also i notice on our new 2011 there are a lot more air bags as standard euip than what was on our 2009.
regards &later KEWATIN AKA CURIOUS BILL
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Your air bags functioned just as intended. The bags are not sealed, but have vents in them so they deflate almost immediately after you hit them. Otherwise, your body would 'bounce off' the bags very rapidly, causing more injury. The 'gas' you saw is sort of a talcum powder-y substance they add to prevent friction when the bag is coming out.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Yep, they have holes about an inch in diameter, and produce a bit of a cloud. Its normal.
Glad that youre ok.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 AM

Would anyone know why my airbag lite comes on some mornings and after it warms up ( some times at least 10 mins ) it finally gos out,,,mostly when its rainy ????
I HAVE A 2010 LS

Last edited by BADBOY; 04-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Ok here it is almost 2 months later and the airbag light comes on pretty much all the time now...
someone told me it has something to do with underneath the passenger seat

any suggestions
Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 AM
geg

I have the experience of interaction with the airbag HHR. Effectively and safely. Light smoke is indeed present. Perhaps talc - How to tell the guys, probably - the powder gases, I could smell gunpowder (squib).

Passenger airbag must not be activated until the passenger does not take his seat. Once I bought a watermelon and put it on the passenger seat - airbag was activated.
If the passenger seat is empty, but the airbag is activated - problems in electronics, look for the problem, test the sensor.

Anecdote:

Easy accident. Cheap little car crashed into the rear of luxury Mercedes. Driver of baby comes out of his car. He trying to peek through the windows - it is useless because the tinted almost black. He starts banging on the window - it is useless, no answer. He waited for 15 minutes about the Mercedes - Mercedes from nobody goes.
Driver of baby shrugged, got into his little car and drove away.
Some time later, a Mercedes gets out a huge guy with a baseball bat. He Does not see the perpetrator of the accident
and starts yelling: "**** Mercedes! ****! **** airbag! I again could not gnaw it quickly!"
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Dear BADBOY,

You will read in your owner's manual that when this warning light is on that you should take the vehicle to the dealership to have this serviced. I would be happy to research this information in the owner's manual if you would like to provide me with the model year of your HHR.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BADBOY
Would anyone know why my airbag lite comes on some mornings and after it warms up ( some times at least 10 mins ) it finally gos out,,,mostly when its rainy ????
I HAVE A 2010 LS
Take it to the Dealer ASAP. It is covered under warranty-your head hitting the windshield is not....
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM

There has been a light issue on some GM vehicles. Often it is a high resistance issue withe belts that are part of the air bag system. They replaced my harness and belts and mine is fine.

The front airbags are to deflate fast to as stated above to prevent the bounce off or busting your face any worse than it is going to get hit.

Also the system is not one level anymore and it can adjust for the impact.

The side bags do not deflate fast as they are there for roll over as much as side impact. They want them inflated to keep you in the car.

Do take it in and have the light fixed under warranty as you would not want to pay for it.
I have tested the HHR bags and they work. I did get burns and cuts from the wheel but they did work well. Seat bellts will pull tight too with a charge.

No gun powder in the new systems. THey are mostly a powder similar to rocket fuel and it is heated to set it off. They try to avoid sparks. The burn inflates the bag with hot air hence my burns. The new powder is not as toxic as the old stuff either.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
geg

Burns - not the worst.
I once saw a guy - airbag cut off his teeth (not knocked out, it was cut off in the middle). I think
Improper adjustment of the seat, position while driving the curve.

Quick Reply: Air Bag question