General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Air Filter Update and Rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Air Filter Update and Rant

Well we installed a K and N replacement filter last night, and it took longer than expected, cause I did not know where it was located. I had to get the book out!
I am glad I did this swap, cause you have to remove the plastic cover completely. I can not see doing this evey 3-6K. What a pain in the butt that would be, and then you might stip out a screw or two.
I looked at this and said, : Is there enoght screws holding this toghter?"
Maybe some glue would help!!!! HA HA HA HA
Anyway, thanks for listening.

Hope this is in the correct forum.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Isn't that a pain in the neck? Sure am glad I went with the CGS so I only have to remove that beast once. Seems like a real poor setup in my opinion. Rant all you want...it's definitely warranted.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 PM

Thanks. I am not sure anymore of the cold air intakes. Had one on the old truck, but saw no inprovement, than again, I got a heavy foot.

I love the kicking people overcartoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:16 AM

Should get mine today Have you had time to notice any differance?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:50 AM

There is definitely a difference. I could feel it right away at normal throttle...you can tell that it's getting way more air. Take it out and step on it...holy cow...it's in heaven. My boyfriend Henry, the eternal show me guy, wasn't sure it would do all that much either...that is until he drove it. First words out of his mouth were "holy *****...this thing flys now"

The CGS combined with the IMCO T924 is the way to go in my opinion. In fact, Henry said he might just consider buying a new HHR and adding these 2 mods himself...and this comes from a guy who has NEVER owned a brand spanking new car...and one who thought modding one was even worse. Thanks to this group and all the ideas I see here, he no longer flinches when I say, "oh, I wanna do that to my car"...he wants to know what cool ideas I've seen on the forum.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 AM

thanks Deb, could you tell me what the CGS and IMCO T924 are? i have seen a few post about how you put the intake on yourself (very impressive!) but i have not figured out what excalty they are and where do you get them. did they improve your gas or make it worse? wow thats alot of questions... thanks Deb
The Bgnozdude
Old 07-29-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Retroburban
.......... I can not see doing this evey 3-6K.....
GM recommends changing the stock air filter every 50K miles. Basically the same interval as K&N recommends. But I will most likely go with the K&N simply because it's reusable. Oh, and the CGS is a cold air intake system made by CGS Motorsports, and the IMCO T924 is a turbo mufffler. Neither of which my wife has a desire for. The HHR is hers. If it were mine I'd probably do a few performance mods other than just a 'drop-in' air filter.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bgnoz
thanks Deb, could you tell me what the CGS and IMCO T924 are? i have seen a few post about how you put the intake on yourself (very impressive!) but i have not figured out what excalty they are and where do you get them. did they improve your gas or make it worse? wow thats alot of questions... thanks Deb
The Bgnozdude
IMCO T924 is a performance muffler that I put on to replace the stock muffler. Not only does it make the car sound much cooler...I actually felt a difference in performance as well. Again, my boyfriend was skeptical until he actually drove it and the found out what I was talking about. Check out the 2.2 & 2.4 boards for more info. Best place online that I have seen is FullLineExhaust...around $40 including shipping...then just have to have it installed. Total for me...in town for muffler and install was $100, but I bought the muffler retail, thus a little more money.

CGS is an intake system that replaces that massive box under the hood where your air filter is hiding. Since you saw my install pictures and my comments (thanks for the compliment ), you can see the obvious difference between stock and this. Again...definitely more power and well worth the money. I purchased mine from Mike at SoCalHHR's off his website. Other vendors here have them as well, but I opted to go with him because of his lightning quick delivery (2 days) and great customer service. I've been able to call him directly (and he even answers the phone ) and asked him questions about things that don't even pertain to parts he sells, just general questions that I needed answers to right away. Customer service like he provides is very important to me and if I have to pay a few extra bucks here and there to get it...that's fine with me.

As for gas mileage...I have definitely noticed a changed, but it all depends on how you drive your vehicle. When I don't have my foot into it, it's definitely up from factory specs...but with these performance mods, I find myself romping on it from time to time, which I'm sure has some effect on that.

Hopefully this will answer all your questions. I'm very happy with both of these purchases and would do them again.

PS...if I left anything out, I'm sure someone will chime in and let me know.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:05 PM

is that turbo muffler one of them FART cannon mufflers on them damn
rice-erz?

god how i hate that sound... BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and they are only going like 5 MPH
Old 07-29-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
GM recommends changing the stock air filter every 50K miles. Basically the same interval as K&N recommends. But I will most likely go with the K&N simply because it's reusable. Oh, and the CGS is a cold air intake system made by CGS Motorsports, and the IMCO T924 is a turbo mufffler. Neither of which my wife has a desire for. The HHR is hers. If it were mine I'd probably do a few performance mods other than just a 'drop-in' air filter.
Sounds like we're in the same Boat! My Wife uses the HHR and she couldn't care less about these add-ons! I do have a K&N filter to put on next oil change. Dealer said they would change it for me then, no extra charge I also have a T-924 muffler that I'd like to sneak on there too.
But I don't know how successful I'll be with that. We'll see I guess.
It might wind up sitting on a shelf in the storeroom for a couple of years!

Quick Reply: Air Filter Update and Rant