General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Any interest in projector headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:52 AM

Any interest in projector headlights?

The cobalt sister site had a group buy on HID projectors, Im wondering if theres anyone here interested in them. We could start a group buy.
They had retrofit kits for about $130 and complete headlights for around $400. The retrofit kits require heating up your own lights to separate the lens and dismantle them, then screw the projectors in and reseal them.
Not sure if the wiring is the same, but it might require cutting the plugs off if it isnt.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Are those really HID lamps, or are they the Xenon filled halogens? I don't see any lamp controllers with the kit.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:43 PM

And as others will tell ya', our light assemblies don't just come apart in the oven like many other headlight assemblies do.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Details, please!

The one modification I would still want to make would be actual HID beams. I am not willing to simply put HID bulbs in the stock setup. Can you give more detail on exactly what this other group by was? As mentioned above, it says Xenon and it doesn't seem to have those external transformers that HIDs require.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM

As I understand it, HID retrofits can be quite complex and involved. Especially if you want to have high / low beam capability. Most of those use a single bulb that is hinged and mechanically tilted for high / low beam function.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM

The cobalt group buy included everything with complete instructions. The projector housings for hi/lo beam, bulbs, ballasts and relay harness. There were options for color of the halo and headlight bulb, and added foglight HIDs.
There are members here who have done retrofits, they were able to get the headlights apart. What I would like to do is try it with those ebay black housing headlights, just in case.

Heres the thread if you want to read up a bit:
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suppo...up-buy-224593/
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM

As I understand it, HID retrofits can be quite complex and involved. Especially if you want to have high / low beam capability. Most of those use a single bulb that is hinged and mechanically tilted for high / low beam function.
Correct, there is a bit of work involved with installing this kit... it's what i used for my conversion. The kit does come with just about everything you need for the conversion, but i would also suggest getting a set of projector "shrouds" to complete the look. As for the high / low beams, the internal "cutoff" shield is mechanically tilted / hinged ( electromagnet ) to allow more light to pass. Actually a pretty cool design. All in all, this is a great mod, and only takes a weekend to assemble and install ( get the headlights apart, paint em, install projectors, reassemble lights, allow to cure, and install em on your ride ).
Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 AM

I might try it

I would have to get someone to help me do this. I would need to buy the kit, get an extra set of headlight assemblies, and have someone a lot more mechanically inclined than I am install the setup in the headlights. Then, I'd have someone (someone else local) install it all. I would want to have my original headlights untouched so I can go back to stock if necessary. I have emailed the company about the kits. I assume the same kit they sold for Cobalt would work with HHR. Can anyone help me with this (I'm in Shreveport, LA and Tyler, TX and occasionally travel to Springfield, MO).

Doctuh
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM

those are just the projectors, i think you have to purchase the HID kit (bulb + ballast) and they plug into that
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM

What's needed

Other threads talked about utilizing street-legal, approved projector assemblies from wrecked or upgraded cars. BMW was an example. I guess this kit accomplishes the same function. The process would be to retrofit the kit into the stock housings, then add bulb and ballast? When done, it will not technically be street legal, but also won't blind other drivers? So, the company that did the Cobalt group buy can sell both the kit and bulb/ballast? One would go to eBay or a wrecking yard for donor light assemblies, have an installer mate it all up on a bench, and then a 2nd installer (if first is not nearby) graft it all into the car?

Quick Reply: Any interest in projector headlights?