General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anyone have a remote start w/5spd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:47 PM

Anyone have a remote start w/5spd?

I know there are a few companies that make remote starters for manual transmissions. Has anyone had experience installing, or had one installed? Would you recommend your brand? I'm just looking for a remote starter, I don't need any of the other fancy options that most offer. The other question is safety? Do they only start/crank when in neutral? or will it try to "jump" like if you left the older (60's & 70's andmaybe some 80's) cars in gear and tried to start without the clutch in. (most older folks will know what I'm talking about...lol) Any input is greatly appreciated.......Regards
Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 PM

If i'm right, this was not an option due to the fact some one may try and start the car while its gear! never seen it on a 5spd.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:14 PM

I wouldn't suggest putting one on a stick. You can bypass the clutch switch to make it think the clutch is pushed in, and you can make it start, but your going to look like an, no offence and sorry to say it, an idiot, if you forget that you put the car in gear and try to start it. Not to metion the damage you can do to not only your car, but something else that might be in the way if it happened.
Just my two cents...
Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by trey1966
I wouldn't suggest putting one on a stick. You can bypass the clutch switch to make it think the clutch is pushed in, and you can make it start, but your going to look like an, no offence and sorry to say it, an idiot, if you forget that you put the car in gear and try to start it. Not to metion the damage you can do to not only your car, but something else that might be in the way if it happened.
Just my two cents...
Yeah, I remember when remote starts first came out, you could "fool" a clutch setup for a manual transmission. That's why I was wondering if someone had manufactured something a little more safe, something that only started when in neutral. But there are manufactures that claim "provide safe and hassle free remote starting of manual transmissions." But they don't go into any details of the safety. I'm not a lawyer, but I could only imagine that if they were by-passing safety features and calling it safe to use, and something happend, it would be huge liability. Here is the link....
http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_PR1256m.htm
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 PM

It's just dangerous period, no matter what any website says. Even if they designed something that disengaged the clutch, you would still have to worry if you put the e-brake on. I am not going to question why you feel you need or want for one, it's your call and your money, but I have had manual cars for a most of my life and lived in some very cold places, North Pole, AK, and some very hot places, Prescott, AZ, and never felt that I could not walk out to my car, start it, and go back in the house.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:47 PM

I have one on my 2003 6 speed tiburon. You have to set the parkbrake and then hit the actovation botton on the key fob with your foot off the clutch.
I works very good. I had it installed at the dealer. I too am looking for a alarm/starter combo. they are out there.
As far as installing them. If your good at wiring and reading instructions you can install them. I have before on my Camaros. You do need the bypass code for the car. lets the alarm or starter override the factory security system and links it to the ECM.
Hope this helps
Old 09-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by trey1966
It's just dangerous period, no matter what any website says. Even if they designed something that disengaged the clutch, you would still have to worry if you put the e-brake on. I am not going to question why you feel you need or want for one, it's your call and your money, but I have had manual cars for a most of my life and lived in some very cold places, North Pole, AK, and some very hot places, Prescott, AZ, and never felt that I could not walk out to my car, start it, and go back in the house.
Trey, I understand the fact that it could be dangerous in certain applications, but I would also like to believe in this day and age, we would have the technology to make something like this error proof. And believe me I'm not defending any website claims....lol.... But if maybe someone had experience with a "real" kit for a manual transmission, one that perhaps had a safety sensor for recognizing that the transmission was in neutral, another sensor that knew if the emergency brake was engaged or not, and would only then proceed to start the engine after all safety issues had been addressed.....Maybe with all of the safety features that would be needed to make it "idiot" proof would be too costly to produce. I don't know.....Regards
Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlackHHR
I have one on my 2003 6 speed tiburon. You have to set the parkbrake and then hit the actovation botton on the key fob with your foot off the clutch.
I works very good. I had it installed at the dealer. I too am looking for a alarm/starter combo. they are out there.
As far as installing them. If your good at wiring and reading instructions you can install them. I have before on my Camaros. You do need the bypass code for the car. lets the alarm or starter override the factory security system and links it to the ECM.
Hope this helps

What about if you leave it in gear?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Well it looks like BlackHHR has one that is working in another car of his just fine, so you might want to discuss this further with him as I am by no means an expert on this particular situation.
As for this day and age, technology is far from anything proof. I fix errors in portfolios on mainframes all day long that handle the 100 billion or so dollars of investments my employer works with. Not to mention that my HHR has been in the dealers service dept three times in the two months I have owned the car. Not everyone has issues with technology, but for those of us who work with it all day long, I see the errors all the time. Nothing is "idiot proof" as some may claim.
Best of luck with your project
Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEINC
What about if you leave it in gear?
You can't even arm the remote starter. I has a nutral safty switch

Quick Reply: Anyone have a remote start w/5spd?