Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Anyone use Quick Jack? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/anyone-use-quick-jack-59988/)

jaskispyder 02-21-2018 06:41 AM

Anyone use Quick Jack?

Anyone buy a Quick Jack for their HHR? I have multiple vehicles and I wanted to see if someone bought one of these and which model fit best. The HHR would need an extended version based on the data from the company.

Since the HHR doesn't have typical lift pads, I would be raising on the pinch seam, and is there any reason I have to raise exactly at the location were the jacking points are or can I come in 6" on each end? (They sell a pinch seam adapter).

quickjack.com

Thanks!

Oldblue 02-21-2018 07:57 AM

I’ve looked into this, determined, for most under car repairs it would be in the way.
Fuel lines, brake lines, fuel tank, exhaust all would be hampered by this.
Now for brakes, oil changes, tire rotation it would be good.
However my $59.00 HF aluminum floor jack and $50.00 for 4 jack stands work out better and (do the math) are a huge savings in the budget.

aradmahogany 02-21-2018 08:26 AM

The car has some beefy frame jack points underneath like any other vehicle. Most repairs I do never require the entire car to be lifted at once, and, although frowned upon by some, you can jack up either the entire front or rear end of the car by itself.

donbrew 02-21-2018 09:39 AM

The gift for the man that has everything.

If I was jacking a car up every day, maybe.

RattyHHR 02-25-2018 01:44 AM

For what they're charging, I would get a 2 post lift and be done, even if it had to be installed in the driveway. A 2 post is gonna give you a lot more access, and the ability to lift just about anything short of a 1 ton truck without missing a beat. I would feel safer using a 2 post simply because of the locks it has. **** happens, and I wouldnt want a portable lift being the only thing in between me and a 4K lb car.

Casa Del Gatos 02-25-2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR (Post 838972)
For what they're charging, I would get a 2 post lift and be done, even if it had to be installed in the driveway. A 2 post is gonna give you a lot more access, and the ability to lift just about anything short of a 1 ton truck without missing a beat. I would feel safer using a 2 post simply because of the locks it has. **** happens, and I wouldnt want a portable lift being the only thing in between me and a 4K lb car.

THIS!
If I had a garage (it will be a few years before I can justify the expense) I would absolutely include a lift in the design.
OMG, when I think of the money I could have saved over the years!

donbrew 02-25-2018 02:11 PM

Used 2 post lifts are surprisingly affordable.

RattyHHR 02-25-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 839000)
Used 2 post lifts are surprisingly affordable.

About 2 years ago, the Advanced Auto Rep was at the shop I was working at. He said he could sell me a brand new one for $1700 installed. I think For about $2500 if you did your research, you could have one installed, granted all that needs to be done to install is drill into the concrete and square everything up. I'm gonna buy one and install it when I build my shop this spring. Can always make money with a lift, even if your just renting it out.

jaskispyder 04-19-2018 02:53 PM

Looking for anyone who has bought one for an HHR

I am looking for anyone who has purchased this product and which size they bought.

I don't have the room for 2 or 4 post lifts in my garage. I don't have the height, nor the proper footing in the floor. While 2 or 4 posts lifts would be great, I am not going to raise the roof on my garage, nor am I going to cut up the floor. Plus, this is my main garage and I don't want posts in the way when I want to get in and out of the vehicles. It is already tight enough in this two car garage :)

As for access, this will give me the access on need to drop the cradle, or the exhaust. If I need, I can use jack stands and jacks, but they are a pain and they don't give me the height that I want, without modification. I have been wrenching for decades and I am tired of using jackstands and jacks. It isn't fun anymore.

donbrew 04-19-2018 03:17 PM

After soaking for 2 months, I guess no one has.

Oldblue 04-19-2018 06:06 PM

Nope never used one, I’m thinking the Quick jacks would be in the way , to drop the fuel lines or the tank, to get the exhaust down, I’ve used a jack and jack stands for all my years wrenching at home in me driveway, a heater would be good.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...039fdf483.jpeg

sleeper 04-21-2018 10:25 PM

It's not for me, I prefer the floor jack & stands.

SwissHHR 04-23-2018 02:08 AM

Which are the best spots to put jack stands under, in the front and rear?

Oldblue 05-01-2018 03:58 PM

I used the pads just behind the LCA bolts

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...91b8caefe.jpeg

and the pivot bolt bracket by the rear axle

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...fd55177bc.jpeg

dougcjohn 03-08-2020 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaskispyder (Post 838853)
Anyone buy a Quick Jack for their HHR? I have multiple vehicles and I wanted to see if someone bought one of these and which model fit best. The HHR would need an extended version based on the data from the company.

Since the HHR doesn't have typical lift pads, I would be raising on the pinch seam, and is there any reason I have to raise exactly at the location were the jacking points are or can I come in 6" on each end? (They sell a pinch seam adapter).

quickjack.com

Thanks!

Old post... Still On? Looks like last post in 2018.
Did you purchase the QuickJack? Which model? How do you like them?
I recently ran across these Quickjacks, to me they look outstanding!
Ordered the 7000XLS to use with my SUV, Truck & HHR’s.
Easily meets mount points on all my rigs and can extend 6” if needed with optional rail.

Clearly Not intended for “Shop” usage that has ample ceiling height or multi-stalls, I don’t view as a 2 Post alternative.
It’s a “home” garage solution, for normal standard garages in height and size... great alternative or supplement to jack stands.
Live in a recent developed neighborhood, small 3 car garage that’d I’d call a 2+ garage, with lower ceilings. If still lived on rural farm with 60x100’ Pole barn & sectioned heated concert floor, the QuickJack wouldn’t be considered. Had a nice Ag pit & above ground hoist.
(New Wife, new house, less yard, older needs... but do miss that pole barn & open scenic view, not the 12 hr mowing).

For it’s intended usage, lifts 21” at the ”lock”... safe & secure. You “could“ even disconnect the hydraulics once locked as jack stands.
At 21” Lift - Plus Blocks; that’s a lot more shoulder room than using 3-4 ton stands; plus I personally feel more safe than 4 jack stands. The optional height blocks take up the excessive clearance or provides ample room between stands & undercarriage to access lines or clamps. They can also be used width wise Ft & Rr, to open center if needed.

The ability to easily remove off floor when not using, hang compactly on wall, frees up garage for other uses... or normal garage parking; can also toss in pickup and use at other location. For exhaust, brake, suspension, clutch & tranny... wheels or simply lifting up for detailing / polishing; nice lift. Particularly nice if doing something from both topside & underneath, easily lifts & lowers to help with access.

Not tossing the low profile jack & stands, but they’ll be used less for certain tasks.
These would have been very nice back in my 70’s muscle car days in Dad’s Garage.

https://www.quickjack.com
https://www.quickjack.com/compare/specifications/
https://www.quickjack.com/accessories/

Oldblue 03-08-2020 07:19 AM

The OP has not been back since April 2018. Doubt you’ll get a response.
Congrats in your purchase, take pictures when it arrives, and post up an unpackaging and setup information

dougcjohn 03-08-2020 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 887698)
The OP has not been back since April 2018. Doubt you’ll get a response.
Congrats in your purchase, take pictures when it arrives, and post up an unpackaging and setup information

Yep, noticed OP hadn't posted, thought maybe if received a email notice to his post he might re-visit with an update.

I'm looking forward to seeing & using these... older I get, the more room underneath I appreciate. LOL!!

I'm counting on these being easy setup, looks like the most time consuming is pushing them into position. The 7000lb rated model is 98lb per side, so it's certainly not like grabbing a 6lb jack stand.

As indicated, garage small, so it's a bit congested too. I'll take some pics along the way... but may look pretty cluttered. Building a 2 story shed is on my list, currently dealing with the town's "code" on yard structures.

Oldblue 03-08-2020 10:56 AM

I hear ya, my shed is under my back deck, so only 4 feet headroom, I stood up to early in May 3, 2013. I’m still dealing with the concussion issues, and Dad always said I had rocks in my head! I checked into these and the shipping up to my place is prohibitive to that idea. So, it’s my trusty HF 1.5 ton aluminum jack and 4 , 2 ton jack stands.

dougcjohn 03-08-2020 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 887705)
I hear ya, my shed is under my back deck, so only 4 feet headroom, I stood up to early in May 3, 2013. I’m still dealing with the concussion issues, and Dad always said I had rocks in my head! I checked into these and the shipping up to my place is prohibitive to that idea. So, it’s my trusty HF 1.5 ton aluminum jack and 4 , 2 ton jack stands.

Dang, you must have really did the job on yourself... sorry to hear that, those hurt the worse!

Also sorry to hear they're charging shipping north of the border. They offered me free shipping and $100 discount code... which considering the weight, pretty good deal. The only gotcha, you're not taking them up on Satisfaction or Return... cost to return wouldn't be worth it.

As a bonus perk... a positive review posted, they'll send the a free accessory "jack pak" for free... $100 buck bonus.
https://www.quickjack.com/accessorie...ak-power-pack/

Have you tried them lately... ask for Donna, she might have some bennies she can offset shipping with... but weight to CA is probably pricey.

Lethal Tendencies 03-08-2020 10:17 PM

I have the quick jack. Love that thing. Easy to use. Great for brakes, tire rotation, suspension work. One of the best things I ever bought.

dougcjohn 03-08-2020 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies (Post 887729)
I have the quick jack. Love that thing. Easy to use. Great for brakes, tire rotation, suspension work. One of the best things I ever bought.

Great to hear! Which one did you go with?
I think it’s a great setup, could have used it years ago!
I’m anxious to set it up.

Lethal Tendencies 03-08-2020 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by dougcjohn (Post 887730)

i bought the 5000lb model. I ordered it from Home Depot. $980 out the door. I use it on my HHR, my wife's Malibu and my corvette. Then I purchased a nice floor creeper from harbor freight.

Lethal Tendencies 03-08-2020 10:56 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...bf88a3c1aa.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...f95c9d627b.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...0f27e15ce.jpeg

dougcjohn 03-09-2020 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies (Post 887731)
i bought the 5000lb model. I ordered it from Home Depot. $980 out the door. I use it on my HHR, my wife's Malibu and my corvette. Then I purchased a nice floor creeper from harbor freight.

Dang, that's a great price even tops price with my 10% Veterans discount.
Home Depot shows the 5000SLX normally at $1499 and currently on sale for $1299 ($200 off) and the 7000SLX on sale for $1349 ($250 off).
That's better than Factory Direct Prices from QuickJack... and $980 is a knockout price... Congrats on the deal. Like gambling, I lack luck to find those deals!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/QUICKJAC...110v/307393222

I'd agree, Harbor Freight has some excellent prices. I too recently picked up their low-boy creeper... looks like good quality.
I've found the quality of HF over the years greatly improve... or my SnapOn, Matco "bias" has decreased or simply different needs than before.
Their tools: hand tools, power, air, generators, etc are actually great products for the price... probably not the Best, but certainly useable.

Lethal Tendencies 03-09-2020 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dougcjohn (Post 887751)
Dang, that's a great price even tops price with my 10% Veterans discount.
Home Depot shows the 5000SLX normally at $1499 and currently on sale for $1299 ($200 off) and the 7000SLX on sale for $1349 ($250 off).
That's better than Factory Direct Prices from QuickJack... and $980 is a knockout price... Congrats on the deal. Like gambling, I lack luck to find those deals!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/QUICKJAC...110v/307393222

I'd agree, Harbor Freight has some excellent prices. I too recently picked up their low-boy creeper... looks like good quality.
I've found the quality of HF over the years greatly improve... or my SnapOn, Matco "bias" has decreased or simply different needs than before.
Their tools: hand tools, power, air, generators, etc are actually great products for the price... probably not the Best, but certainly useable.

I read somewhere that Costco had it for $950

donbrew 03-09-2020 11:04 AM

SnapOn and Matco are fine if you are a professional and make enough money that the tax deduction helps you. Otherwise they are a waste of money.

Not even counting the times you break something is when the driver has broken down for a month, but you really need the 14 mm deep wobble impact socket. Can you wait a month for it, or is a drive to HF a better deal (same warranty). Plus you get to wander around "adult maleToyland" and add to your wishlist.

dougcjohn 03-09-2020 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 887783)
SnapOn and Matco are fine if you are a professional and make enough money that the tax deduction helps you. Otherwise they are a waste of money.

Not even counting the times you break something is when the driver has broken down for a month, but you really need the 14 mm deep wobble impact socket. Can you wait a month for it, or is a drive to HF a better deal (same warranty). Plus you get to wander around "adult maleToyland" and add to your wishlist.

Couldn't agree more Don... but that's the double edge too. My last 3 trips into HF resulted in way more "Toys" than needed. I sold all my SnapOn, Mac and Matco along with overpriced Boxes back in early '90's and didn't replace for years; No need in new field.

Back in 70-90's there were NO quality low cost tools... the Sears Craftman & NAPA were good but thick as heck... and 12 pt were loose. But Craftman were great for common tools. Jump forward into last 10yrs, the quality of Craftman improved for a while. The Fleet & Farm and various Lowes tools are great but still pretty pricey compared to HF. The HF ICON series handtools and Earthquake 20v Impact are actually very nice! The only negative on HF tools is variety... getting better but still slim. The Kobalt in my mind are better than new Craftman series. Kobalt has several very nice tiny or slim ratchets and specialty tools.

But the HF is lower cost and for similar tools, I think equals quality and tight specifications. The Pittsburgh series are good, but the Icon series are great. Example, the impact sockets in Icon are tapped wall for small size, Pittsburgh is thick... both work nice!

I had zero need, but found their set of nylon sheathing thin wall wheel sockets... very cool, for not much. That and a few other Toys went into the cart.

Oldblue 03-09-2020 01:40 PM

My wife drops me off at HF in Hyannis Ma , she calls it her husband daycare ! I can wander around from isle to isle and she goes to the Cape Cod mall or the Christmas Tree store across the road. At least I can stand up in the store, kinda hard in my buddies Snap-On truck.

Last fall , I picked up an Earthquake 1/2 impact gun , wow what a difference from my 30 year old CP gun and it was on sale for $89.00 850 ft/lbs of torque for that little, WOW

dougcjohn 03-09-2020 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 887812)
My wife drops me off at HF in Hyannis Ma , she calls it her husband daycare ! I can wander around from isle to isle and she goes to the Cape Cod mall or the Christmas Tree store across the road. At least I can stand up in the store, kinda hard in my buddies Snap-On truck.

Last fall , I picked up an Earthquake 1/2 impact gun , wow what a difference from my 30 year old CP gun and it was on sale for $89.00 850 ft/lbs of torque for that little, WOW

LOL... good one! My Wife is similar, Old Fart goes to HF and she hits HobbyLobby, JoAnns, etc.

Exactly, I just purchased their 1/2" Earthquake XT at 1200 ft/lb... beats several Air that max at 1000ft/lb.

Later noticed their isn't a dail to select various power. Still great impact.

Lethal Tendencies 03-09-2020 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by dougcjohn (Post 887730)

There is a video on youtube for setting it up.

dougcjohn 03-15-2020 10:12 AM

To continue the QuickJack discussion...
Received my QuickJack; main package arrives in 3 boxes. Extra options arrive in separate boxes.
Extremely well packaged, haven't seen 1/4" wood sleeves used as part of packages before.
Assembly is basically putting all the Quick release ends on the lines & pump and the fittings on the Lifts cylinders.
Charging the Air Cylinder with 50lbs air and filling the Pump reservoir with Tranny fluid.

@Lethal Tendencies has displayed above, there are plenty of QuickJack setup and several YouTubes on setup & assembly.
Short add-on...
All the YouTubes and older instructions indicate "bleeding the system" with procedure to tilt Lifts to bleed.
The new version doesn't even mention bleeding system in manual. In the Trouble section, it states a vertical method to bleed if deemed necessary.
The main part of manual states the system is "self bleeding" and no bleeding needed. It appears they may have changed the Pump's valve assembly block for air bubbles to vent out into the fluid tank.
I did try the old way of tilting & bleeding and got a very minimal amount of air that may have cycled through with a few partial lifts.

One caution they stress...
Don't remove all wheels and lower Lifts to near "full compression", the Lifts require a small amount of space to obtain the power / fulcrum to "lift". They indicate even with a standard lift, the Lifts need a clearance of 1" of travel before contacting the vehicle weight. I ordered the 7000 lbs Lifts, and haven't noticed the HHR even challenging the hydraulics... my 6300lb SUV may be different. They stress if you lower the vehicle below it's ability to Lift (wheels off), you may need to use a floor jack to lift vehicle a little to initiate QJ Lifts.
As others had mentioned, I also was a little concerned for access near the Lifts frame for brake lines, fuel lines etc. I purchased the SUV Optional lift kit (for my other rigs) and when assembled in the short setup fit under the HHR with about 1.5" to spare. The SUV Spacers provided all the space and access needed around the lifts, no interference.

As @Lethal Tendencies indicates, these Lifts are awesome! Slid into place, short time to align Lift blocks and up she goes in 30-40 seconds.
You then lower the lifts a shot distance (.5 - 1") to engage their jack locks and all pressure is removed from lines... if needed the lines can be removed to clear floor space.
I did disconnect the lines just to see how hard it was to re-connect... no pressure on lines and they easily snap back together to operate.
You can take it up & down in less than a minute, making getting to topside & bottom a simple task.

They include small hard wheels at one end, to easily move Lifts to storage location. Also included is a small "grasp tool" that allows you to move the Lifts to position easily under the vehicle.
I purchased the QJ Lift Hooks, to mount on Wall... they hold the top while Lifts rest on ground providing a nice vertical minimal storage space requirements. I intend to add a shelf above the Lift Hooks to store all the lift blocks, SUV mounts and hose lines.

I'll add a few Photos to @Lethal Tendencies set. Since the Fuel line replacement was on my project list, I'll include a few of that area too.
Price varies a bit depending on Sales and Home Depot may be the best source... I missed that boat and an extra 10% Veteran discount but no complaints... few hundred difference.
For the ease of usage, clearance and small home garage storage... for my needs, safety, and 1 man jobs... these are a great package!

Looking forward to various tasks... detailing lower half easier, removing Ft facia cover, wheel or brake.

dougcjohn 03-15-2020 10:14 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...b84340ff43.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...fb2b8a313c.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...168903da41.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...3240c1f1e7.jpg

dougcjohn 03-15-2020 10:16 AM

QuickJack with SUV Lift Blocks...
Provides ample room between Lift Frame and Car chassis.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...a1eb263108.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...938c974ab7.jpg

Oldblue 03-15-2020 12:43 PM

Nice , is it in the way to drop the fuel tank if you need to change the intank fuel pump?

dougcjohn 03-15-2020 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 888528)
Nice , is it in the way to drop the fuel tank if you need to change the intank fuel pump?

It may be in that position, but it can be used vertically (cross ways) too.... but don't know. I'd say no more than a dual posts arms? I'll look tonight, but from my memory... I thought the tank was open to drop. I'm on pinch seams, with it going up even on all points... pinch seam didn't bother me. But as all lifts, none fit all occasions.

Oldblue 03-15-2020 06:05 PM

It looks like it would clear, have you considered pinch seam pucks to protect it from flattening.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...84f5fccca.jpeg
A groove in a hockey puck or HF has them

sleeper 03-15-2020 07:54 PM

I use a short 2" x 4" board that I cut the groove cross-wise on the grain. Been working fine for many years.

dougcjohn 03-15-2020 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 888545)
It looks like it would clear, have you considered pinch seam pucks to protect it from flattening.

They make pinch blocks of 2 heights and the SUV blocks have a small channel... but interestingly, it does well lifting straight up.

If wasn't pursuing the fuel lines, would have slid in further to other mount points.

On the question of dropping fuel tank. As it's positioned on pinch seams... plenty of room to drop tank. Easily clears on both sides.

dougcjohn 03-15-2020 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 888545)

The pinch groove in that puck looks a little shallow for the seams. I'd guess the seams are about 1/4-1/2" longer.

The JQ blocks have multiple seam grooves on each side of about twice the depth of example puck.
I ordered, but still waiting to arrive.

Lethal Tendencies 03-16-2020 07:30 AM

Love this thing. had my vette up on it yesterday adjust 4spd linkage

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...068b303faf.jpg