General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Automatic locks and tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 PM

Automatic locks and tranny problems

SO IM GONNA TRY THIS ONE MORE TIME A FEW MONTHS AGO I ATTEMPTED TO GET HELP FROM THIS SITE BUT APPARENTLY I STARTED MY THREAD THE WRONG WAY, SO IM GOINGBTO TRY AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY THIS TIME. So my 06 hhr won’t engage the automatic locks when shifting from and out of parking and when this happens a number of problems accur 1. Transmission won’t shift into 3rd or beyond 2. Cruise control won’t engage 3. Locks in the car will sometimes lock and unlock themselves, when I started having this problem was in the winter and I got the battery, and charging system checked and they all passed, a mechanic of mine hooked up the scan tool and 3 codes came up B2705, B0595, and B3006 I should note that I can move my gearshift in and out of park without applying the brake and even when the car is off, the car use to belong to my dad MAY HE RIP😔 so this car means a lot to me and I wanna get it fixed but it’s really fighting me I took some videos of the symptoms the car makes and I will share the links, as I mentioned the car belonged to my dad so I’m not 100% sure what kind of maintenance and work was done, but if their is any questions I can surely find out.thanks

Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Technical Moderator

What you did wrong before was not answer questions or give exact details.

Now we know what is wrong, it is right there in the pic.

Check with a GM dealer the special extended warranty may still be in effect.

The reason for the lock connection is that the doors are programmed to lock when the gear selector is not in park and can be programmed to unlock when placed into park. This might be caused by the park neutral sensor switch mounted on the transmission where the cable is attached. Might be the brake pedal position sensor.

The cruise control is probably because the CHMSL (the third brake light) has a bulb or 2 blown out. But may be related to the malfunction.

Does remote start work?
is there a seatbelt/airbag warning?
Has an after market security system been installed?
Can you move the lever out of park without stepping on the brake?
Have the ignition switch recalls been done?
Was this going on before the radio and nav was installed?

Last edited by donbrew; 06-14-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Technical Moderator

Here is the test procedure, step 13 is run the engine see if the code comes back.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What you did wrong before was not answer questions or give exact details.

Now we know what is wrong, it is right there in the pic.

Check with a GM dealer the special extended warranty may still be in effect.

The reason for the lock connection is that the doors are programmed to lock when the gear selector is not in park and can be programmed to unlock when placed into park. This might be caused by the park neutral sensor switch mounted on the transmission where the cable is attached. Might be the brake pedal position sensor.

The cruise control is probably because the CHMSL (the third brake light) has a bulb or 2 blown out. But may be related to the malfunction.

Does remote start work?
is there a seatbelt/airbag warning?
Has an after market security system been installed?
Can you move the lever out of park without stepping on the brake?
Have the ignition switch recalls been done?
Was this going on before the radio and nav was installed?

the ignition switch recall was done about 3 or 4 years ago I remember because the key would get stuck and we had to stick our finger underneath to get the key out, the remote start doesn’t work, I bout the FOB remote on Amazon but I went to a Chevy dealership to have it programmed but the remote start still didn’t work even after, but I didn’t have any of the current problems I have right now, I did replace about 2 light bulbs in the 3rd break light but I will have to double check if they went out again, no seatbelt/ airbag warning lights, yes I can move the lever with out applying the break, and no this was not happening before or after the radio was installed.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Technical Moderator

The ignition recall really had nothing to do with "key stuck", however that leads us back to the gearshifter lock control solenoid. That is not serviceable by itself.

There was a special warranty that covered a new shifter assembly, I think that expired. Check with GM. There was a "stuck in park" problem also.

What this is telling is the solenoid is stuck. Could try spraying it with some WD40 or the like. It is on the side of the shifter assembly.

Neither of these address your specific problem, but you can visualize what I mean.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ark-fix-52951/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-delete-39229/

There is a nylon bar in there that pushes the micro swicth that energizes the solenoid.

Another suspect I have is that many nav systems are wired into the gearshift. That connection may be doing something if it is there. Thats why I asked about that.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The ignition recall really had nothing to do with "key stuck", however that leads us back to the gearshifter lock control solenoid. That is not serviceable by itself.

There was a special warranty that covered a new shifter assembly, I think that expired. Check with GM. There was a "stuck in park" problem also.

What this is telling is the solenoid is stuck. Could try spraying it with some WD40 or the like. It is on the side of the shifter assembly.

Neither of these address your specific problem, but you can visualize what I mean.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ark-fix-52951/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-delete-39229/

There is a nylon bar in there that pushes the micro swicth that energizes the solenoid.

Another suspect I have is that many nav systems are wired into the gearshift. That connection may be doing something if it is there. Thats why I asked about that.

this his is what I got so far one of the pieces is missing

Old 06-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Technical Moderator

The micro switch has disappeared! It should be attached to those 2 wires.

New assemblies used to be on eBay for around $100. All years work.
like this among others.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-Cent...kAAOSwXXxZQ4r1

If you want a used one send a PM to hellshotrod, he has several HHRs he needs to liquidate quickly.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Extended coverage for the shifter is still in effect.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Does anyone know if there are part #s for these 2 pieces that I circled in the picture because they are missing in my assembly and I want to at least replace them before I even attempt to call Chevy to see if my assembly is under the warranty I don’t want them giving me an excuse they can’t because of a missing component.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Technical Moderator

There are no part numbers, as I said earlier they are non-serviceable. Brand new assemblies are $65, used cheaper. Now that you have done all the labor yourself it really isn't worth putting it back together, is it?

Quick Reply: Automatic locks and tranny problems